Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fwb 124

Fwb 124

I’m a bit out of touch with FWB values.

I’ve had 127s but fancy a good 124.

How much do I need in the piggy bank to start looking?

A bit of wet finger to the wind but I suspect between £120 and £200 depending on condition and where you buy from. You may get lucky at an auction where no one else is really interested (was that a pig flying?). Other people may differ in prices but I think I am in the correct ballpark. My prices are for a rifle 'you expect to work as it should' with price adjustment being for largely cosmetics.
    I added this latter part because I was once caught out buying a boxed 124 that looked excellent. There was no facility to examine it more than outer looks, although the cocking cycle felt smooth. However, a home test quickly showed problems in the power plant area and a strip showed a crumbling piston seal. Now had that rifle been bought by a person not able to sort out the problem it could have been an expensive buy when you add the cost of a new seal and labour for fitting. If you can tackle such things yourself, fine but if not, it might be wise to look for a guaranteed fully working model. I hope I am not teaching granny to suck eggs!
    Good luck.
    Cheers, Phil

At least £200.00 more like it & that won't be mint, expect nice ones to ask £260 plus.

Fwb 124

If anyone does find a nice 124 for the prices mentioned above please put me in touch with the seller

Quote Originally Posted by landymick View Post
    At least £200.00 more like it & that won't be mint, expect nice ones to ask £260 plus.
    +1 especially with 124’s

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    yeah, tatty maybe £150, but anything decentish £200+

As Phil mentions, any with original piston seal have probably crumbled by now.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

One of the guys from our club just bought a really Tidy 124 for £200 from Rainford Field Sports

FEB 124 tyro

It all depends on what you want to invest. I love the FEB 124. In fact I love my FWB and have invested heavily to refine my wee friend to the nth degree. All very personal choice. https://imgur.com/a/Zxi5A
    https://www.walnut.black

Fwb 127

And this 127 has had a stock tickle, vmach kit and a nice moderator fitted. Lovely old girl. Shoots sweetly and yields a huge amount of enjoyment. At a fraction of her little sister! https://imgur.com/a/qqhUJ
    https://www.walnut.black

Very nice.

I was looking to buy a year ago and searched the internet for available models in .22 (ie FWB 127), which should be similar in price to the .177. Over several months of occasional searching, I found prices were anything from nearly £400 to £450 and, from recollection, these were offered by gunsmiths. A private bargain might probably yield a better price but very few of these seem to come up.

I considered this somewhat expensive so shelved the search but would be interested at the prices your colleagues, here, have ventured.

Kind regards
    Andrew.

I expect to and would willingly pay £300 if cosmetically/structurally very good. Spring/seal etc about £40 for poor performance and I'm a happy person.
    Off to surf the net now.
    P.S. offered £350 for a good one of mine, by a gunsmith/shooter, not a minter. Refused 'cos it shoots so well.
    It's all about opportunity/individuals. One just went for £70 on line.

My most recent 127 was around 200 or a bit less at auction. V good stock, sorted trigger, some thinning of barrel bluing, though not too much, no iron sights (but I have some in the spares box) and a mediocre scope in mediocre mounts which has been replaced. 124s maybe command a 10-20% premium. Maybe.

You used to be able to pick them up for comparative peanuts. These days, you will see the guys on g* asking stupid money. But I agree with landymick on the broad price range if you take your time.

Personally, even in excellent condition, I think £250 is still a lot for a classic springer, and £300 is a very big deal. That gets you into or above the territory of almost any used HW, most used AAs, Webley Tommies and Bows and Omegas, Superstars, etc. And "new old stock" HWs, AAs, "Walthers" at auction.

So, as a Sport owner, I would love to encourage people to think that my FWBs are now worth £400-450. But they aren't. Unless they are as new in box with all the bits, or period customs.

Prices have gone up.
    A few years back a minter would be £250, now a tad over £320. I can't see the reason to pay more.
    A very nice one £260, or less.
    £200 is a lot for a well used one, and many were shot hard because they are fun to shoot. But they do wear out or at least loosen up and the bluing thins out. Well warn then why pay £200, as a less hard used one might be got for that?

A lot were sold. But a lot were used, and used hard. Plenty of nice one still out there but take your time as next week a better one will come along, well one not overly priced. I shoot a pretty warn 124 once a week, and have a mint 127 in my cabinet.

Definitely a rifle to own for a while. A HW95 is close for a modern take.
    The shoot best standing unsupported to farmyard ranges as they don't have the weight to bench shoot well. A rifle that wants to shoot straight, does shoot straight, just tricky getting it to stay there as they aren't that forgiving.

I bought a 124 18 months ago and with the work I've had done to it, it stands me at well over £450. If I sold it I know I wouldn't recoup the money spent but at the moment it's a keeper.