Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Revolver cylinder chamfering question

My Ruger and spare cylinder's not chamfered either but interesting about the Cattleman.
    Remember, it is the strongest character that God gives the most challenges.

I do agree with the ignition issues from poor fitting caps etc. I should clarify that I refer to flashover on the front end. There is plenty of evidence of issues relating to caps causing the flashover effect.

I Don't grease the chambers either,black power and its substitutes create enough mess without grease everywhere too. I do wonder if this is used in the US in place of Alox where it seems to be common place to grease every time?

For very small chamfers it's quite possible this is a result of de-burring at the factory as a <0.5mm chamfer could be done as part of the process to clean up the machining on the lower cost revolvers.

Quote Originally Posted by Solvo View Post
    I do agree with the ignition issues from poor fitting caps etc. I should clarify that I refer to flashover on the front end. There is plenty of evidence of issues relating to caps causing the flashover effect.

I Don't grease the chambers either,black power and its substitutes create enough mess without grease everywhere too. I do wonder if this is used in the US in place of Alox where it seems to be common place to grease every time?

For very small chamfers it's quite possible this is a result of de-burring at the factory as a <0.5mm chamfer could be done as part of the process to clean up the machining on the lower cost revolvers.

I don't use grease, but after a dozen cylinder-loads for the last load I fill the small spaces around the front of the ball with Boots E45 skin cream. It's an emulsified emmoluent, and washes away in plain water, taking most of the crud with it.

On the other hand, reading the label inside the Colt case there is no mention whatsoever of greasing - except on the cylinder arbor.

tac

Quote Originally Posted by Solvo View Post

I think you've hit the nail on the head regarding the chamfer on the new Cattleman as it was only about 0.5mm so it's probably their way of finishing the job after machining the cylinder.

My two pence.

I agree probably just a cleaning up process. I have just checked Hege .44 ( yes vbull that one ) Hege Uberti .36 and three original Remington .44's and a Remington 1861 none of which have a chamfer. I am sure if Mr Hege had thought chamfers were required I am sure he would have done so.

Also agree chain fires are from badly fitting caps or the caps coming off, not from the front.

Glad you still have the 44 Hege Peter, I still have my Hege assembled FWB Rogers, just as tight as the day I bought it.