Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Have I done the right thing??

Chill

Quote Originally Posted by Backyard_sniper View Post
    Hi Guys

Need some help here in deciding whether I have done the right thing, left the local RFD earlier after ordering
    a HW95k in .177!

Some reassurance that I haven't cocked up would be good.

James
    Very underrated There very good

Had many 95,s, there very good. My preference is for .22 though, for the reasons already mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by rhyslightnin View Post
    Yes.. you have done the wrong thing... Its not a full length HW77
    how about one of each ?

Sold mine a few years ago, I really regret it now, fantastic rifle you have made a good choice
    Fancy shooting your air pistols & rifles a bit more, then guy's & gal's come visit us at the
    UBC for loads of fun competitions for all types of air pistols and rifles.

Can't wait to give it a go now, should be picking it up tomorrow. I've got plenty of pellets so i'll run a few tins through her.

James
    Air Arms S400 Classic .177
    SMK CP2 .177
    Soon Weihrauch HW95k .177

A good German Weihrauch springer takes some beating. Got a couple of oldies here and I wouldn't be without them. HW77 & HW80

You could've done worse...

TinBum it and it'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by mallyally View Post
    how about one of each ?
    LOL!! Yes but I don't think that 77 is full length is it? oh & nice carpet!!!
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

Quote Originally Posted by eyebull View Post
    Lovely handling, but not nearly as easy to shoot as the .22 IMO.
    You will need to strip and fettle, and bring the power down to about 10.5 to 11 FPE, where it should shoot nicely. If you try and run it at full chat it will be hard work.
    I'd shoot it for a while and see what it's like ... but I totally agree that the lighter weight of the 0.177 break barrel springers means that they shoot better at about 10 - 11fp.

secretagentmole Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by averageplinker View Post
    A great choice. Ignore the doom mongers �� and see how yours shoots before jumping straight on the strip it immediately band wagon. You may get a good one. If it is a bit jumpy but not graunchy get a tin of pellets through it to bed it in. The first quick and easy tuning tip I would try first is to roll up some lead flashing and substitute it for the silencer internals (making sure that it lets the pellets through the middle of course!).
    Rich.
    Any buzzing noise on firing is likely to be bad spring ends though....

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Quote Originally Posted by bozzer View Post
    I'd shoot it for a while and see what it's like ... but I totally agree that the lighter weight of the 0.177 break barrel springers means that they shoot better at about 10 - 11fp.
    Quote Originally Posted by averageplinker View Post
    A great choice. Ignore the doom mongers �� and see how yours shoots before jumping straight on the strip it immediately band wagon. You may get a good one. If it is a bit jumpy but not graunchy get a tin of pellets through it to bed it in. The first quick and easy tuning tip I would try first is to roll up some lead flashing and substitute it for the silencer internals (making sure that it lets the pellets through the middle of course!).
    Rich.
    The reason I say strip immediately rather than put a few tins of pellets through and see how you get on, is that unfinished spring ends and swarf in the action will actually cause damage. Best to check and see first IMO.

I've had a few spring rifles, and only one of them - just one - has been adequately sorted inside from new. That was my LGV Competition Ultra.
    Everything else has needed attention, whether it's unfinished springs, too much/not enough/not the right lubrication, burrs or other, more serious issues.

This goes double for guns like the HW99/30, which may actually destroy themselves in the process of putting a tin of pellets through them to 'run them in'.

If I'm wrong, all that will happen is that you learn how to strip your rifle. If the 'glass half full' guys are wrong, it could mean even more expense and extensive work to put right.

I'll be getting a HW30s in a few days, and I'm fully prepared to break it down straight away, degrease, deburr, sort out the cocking link and reassemble before I even shoot it.
    Once (or four or five times ) bitten, twice shy.

I don't mean to put the OP off his purchase, or 'monger any doom' - I myself have a .177 and .22 95k and have no plans to get rid of them. Weihrauch make well designed guns that no one can really touch at their price point for quality of build and potential, but the reality is that they need fettling out of the box more often than not, and that this is very much the norm in the airgun industry.
    Good deals with these members