Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have I done the right thing??

Have I done the right thing??

Hi Guys

Need some help here in deciding whether I have done the right thing, left the local RFD earlier after ordering
    a HW95k in .177!

Some reassurance that I haven't cocked up would be good.

James
    Air Arms S400 Classic .177
    SMK CP2 .177
    Soon Weihrauch HW95k .177

Not really, it's a good rifle, ok more snappy than a .22
    Strip it down, finish the ends of the spring off, clean out the tube, re-lube the spring properly, put a tin of pellets through it and you should love it.

Uncertainty after buying can be a horrible thing, tieing you up in knots and wondering if you have done the right thing......

Which you 100% have.

Lovely rifles. Superb trigger and very accurate. Just take the time to bond and you'll love it forever.

Many can be very good as regards firing cycle refinement straight out of the box. Although not strictly necessary, they're even better with a knowledgeable fettle and there is lots that can be done and a huge resource of knowledge and custom parts that you can tap into.

Enjoy and rest assured you've chosen wisely.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Wouldn't worry about it, love my 95

Quote Originally Posted by Backyard_sniper View Post
    Hi Guys

Need some help here in deciding whether I have done the right thing, left the local RFD earlier after ordering
    a HW95k in .177!

Some reassurance that I haven't cocked up would be good.

James
    Yes.. you have done the wrong thing... Its not a full length HW77
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Lovely handling, but not nearly as easy to shoot as the .22 IMO.
    You will need to strip and fettle, and bring the power down to about 10.5 to 11 FPE, where it should shoot nicely. If you try and run it at full chat it will be hard work.
    Good deals with these members

Thanks guys, I'm planning on having it tuned at some point and sticking it in a CS700 stock.
    Just wanted something I could grab and shoot with, not having to worry about shot counts and dragging
    a bottle around etc.

Hopefully I can re-master a springer.

James
    Air Arms S400 Classic .177
    SMK CP2 .177
    Soon Weihrauch HW95k .177

flyingfish is offline I may only have 5 but I have the best 5
    95s are great guns, my only real advice is to run it in properly with a couple of tins of pellets through it to let it settle before you decide what you like & don't like.

Oh & get to the bash of course where people that know what they are talking about can help with any problems
    Pete

secretagentmole Guest
    Be prepared.
    1) Swarf in the grease is common.
    2) So is finishing the spring ends with a disc cutter and not flattening or smoothing them, leading to galling and swarf in grease (see 1).
    3) Buzzing worse than a swarm of bees in a tinfoil factory (see 1 and 2).

So be prepared to strip it down and fit a tuning kit in it. It will transform the gun into what it should have been like when in left the bloody factory. Yes we have had to do this to 2 different guns, made years apart. But once sorted they are damned superb!

NewPaul is offline Jack Hargreaves lookalike --- How
    Good choice

I love my HW95 (.22). After a basic fettle and TbT short stroke kit it is shooting as sweet as a sweet thing.
    HW77K .22, HW100KT .22, HW95K .22. AA TX200 MK3 .22. AA S410 MK3 .177. HW80 .25 HW30S .22. Pistols: Walther CP88 .177, Hatsan Mod25 Supercharger .22, HW45 Silver Star .177, Webley Alecto .177, SMK Victory CP2 .22

Quote Originally Posted by secretagentmole View Post
    Be prepared.
    1) Swarf in the grease is common.
    2) So is finishing the spring ends with a disc cutter and not flattening or smoothing them, leading to galling and swarf in grease (see 1).
    3) Buzzing worse than a swarm of bees in a tinfoil factory (see 1 and 2).

So be prepared to strip it down and fit a tuning kit in it. It will transform the gun into what it should have been like when in left the bloody factory. Yes we have had to do this to 2 different guns, made years apart. But once sorted they are damned superb!
    To be fair, many report that badly finished spring ends are well and truly in the past. I'm not saying that it can't happen, but many do seem to be fine now. And a fair few HWs that I have worked on have been free from swarf.

Plus, many very recent HWs that I have tried have displayed very refined firing manners from the box, indicating to me that more attention has been paid to spring to guide fit.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingfish View Post

Oh & get to the bash of course where people that know what they are talking about can help with any problems
    Top tip from Pete.

And within very easy striking distance of Colchester.

Quote Originally Posted by Backyard_sniper View Post
    Thanks guys, I'm planning on having it tuned at some point and sticking it in a CS700 stock.
    Just wanted something I could grab and shoot with, not having to worry about shot counts and dragging
    a bottle around etc.

Hopefully I can re-master a springer.

James
    There's a cs500 in sales?
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Well there's a new slant to the "Which rifle" type of thread.

Well done for choosing one of the better modern springers and an even better choice for thinking about putter it in a CS700 stock

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

A great choice. Ignore the doom mongers �� and see how yours shoots before jumping straight on the strip it immediately band wagon. You may get a good one. If it is a bit jumpy but not graunchy get a tin of pellets through it to bed it in. The first quick and easy tuning tip I would try first is to roll up some lead flashing and substitute it for the silencer internals (making sure that it lets the pellets through the middle of course!).
    Rich.
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)