Thread: Dri slide application

Dri slide application

Hello

I've managed to get my hands on some dri slide to experiment and continue tinkering with my Springer. I believe it was big back in the 80s

I've tried warming up the compression cylinder and putting a few drops in, swirling around and then gently wiped some of the excess out. I then heated the cylinder up and repeated the process a few times.

I'm going to leave it to dry over night as it still feels ever so slightly sticky.

Once it's dry, do I rub off the excess again? I don't get how to burnish it in by buffing. Surely this would just remove it?

Is this the correct process or have I got it wrong? From reading other threads this is how I interpreted it.

Should I put some in the piston too?

Any advice appreciated

Thanks

No harm in using it on the piston.

And you have done it right. Whilst lots may seem to have come out on the cloth, you will have worked some moly into the steel.

I would always also use a TINY smear of moly grease around the circumference of the piston seal (none on the front face) and some on the tail of the piston.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    I think as long as it has dried out completely, you can miss out the 'burnishing' step.

If it is not completely dry then it may cause some dieselling, and even with it dry you may get some combustion of stray graphite particles.

The burnishing thing is on the principle that the molybdenum molecules bind tightly to any clean steel (thats why a degrease and very good clean is essential) so burnishing is just removing the excess.

As someone else pointed out, the piston can do this just as well.

Ok, great.

I will see how it goes and let you know the results!

Let's hope it makes a nice smooth rebuild.

Right,.

I left it overnight to dry. Felt less tacky.

Rebuilt it just now and it's running nicely. Only had about 15 shots through it but cocks really nicely. Had to call it a day over the chrono as the boss came home.

Hopefully at the weekend I can run it in and the shots will settle down and run more consistently. Approx 7 fps spread between shots, so quite pleased.

For anybody interested, it raised the fps by approx 10-20fps.

I built it up in 2_3 coats, dried over night and left most of it on the piston. I gave the cylinder a very light dust to remove the excess but didn't buff it so to speak. Left a small trace of dri slide on the piston seal.. Put a smidge of moly grease on the rear of the piston skirt. Pushed the piston up and down the cylinder and twisted it to bed it in before I put the spring back (not sure if it does anything by for peace of mind more than anything)

Hope this dri slide runs nicely for a while now- fed up with rebuilding it!

Sounding good.

What rifle?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Hw99s. 177

Herx77 is offline "Instruments of the light"
    You can make up felt discs on studding and ..carefully... burnish inside of compression chamber with them. It should leave a film about 1 micron on the steel.
    HERX77 .
    Fighter against the "Dark Arts" A stranger in an even stranger land.
    GC2+Leupold 14.4-34x45
    AA400 fac receiver+sidewinder 8.5-34x52
    Weihrauch HW77k fiddled with and doing what it wants to +Zeiss 3-9x36.
    Weihrauch HW90k
    Weihrauch HW97k learning from above,now sporting a Maccarri 77/97 target stock..+Bushnell 3200.Go on shoot one you know you want to
    Daystate mk3 RT Delux + bushnell 4200 8-24x 40Does what it should again & again.
    Fwb 124 + Optima was good is good!
    Webley Vulcan.