Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Danish or teak oil on gun stock

Danish or teak oil on gun stock

Hi just to ask if anyone have used either of the above to do a gun stock, Nearly Finnished the sanding etc for a gun stock and was going to send off for some oil for the stock but to be honest I'm off for a couple days and the weather looks crap so I want to source some locally tomorrow, Wilko, What shop, screwfix and toolstation very close to me and wanted to get some oil from either of these shoos to make a start tomorrow, Want to try and keep tge stock same colour or near enough so something clear, Any advice please.

I've used Danish oil With good results.

It's weird stuff though, you put it on the stock and let it go tacky, and then buff it in.

All the best Mick

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post

It's weird stuff though, you put it on the stock and let it go tacky, and then buff it in.

All the best Mick
    Hopefully pick some up tomorrow and give it a try, I was going to stain but there's some nice markings on the stock and after cleaning with some white spirits I would like to keep the same colour, Thanks for the info.

I have done several stocks with Danish oil. When I did them I applied a coat using a small bit of cotton rag, let it dry well then do another coat. Let dry, lightly sand down to remove any raised fibres etc then apply again. 24 hours between coats is not too long. A gloss will build up as you apply more coats ... working through a matt to a satin to a gloss finish. Let dry thoroughly between coats and as you reach the finish you want use very fine emery type paper. Approx 8 coats should give you a deep glass like gloss ... which is what I aim for. It will be very hard wearing.
    For a beech stock I usually stain the stock to give a darker finish ... I like peruvian mahogany; best to try it out on scrap timber first.
    Cheers, Phil

Kloppville- 10,533 miles from Lake Mulwala.
    Quote Originally Posted by madcarlos View Post
    Hi just to ask if anyone have used either of the above to do a gun stock, Nearly Finnished the sanding etc for a gun stock and was going to send off for some oil for the stock but to be honest I'm off for a couple days and the weather looks crap so I want to source some locally tomorrow, Wilko, What shop, screwfix and toolstation very close to me and wanted to get some oil from either of these shoos to make a start tomorrow, Want to try and keep tge stock same colour or near enough so something clear, Any advice please.
    Tru Oil.

Way better than Danish in every way! Imo.
    You wont get it in local shops mind.

HTH.

Roy.
    If it moves.....shoot it!..If it don't move.....shoot it in case it tries to!!!
    Light travels faster than sound....this is why I appear bright until you hear me speak!!!

If a walnut stock then just use Boiled linseed oil. Rub in with fingers to build a bit of heat up. Wipe excess off after a short while. Do several or more coats over a few days. When happy go over with Colron finishing wax and buff up.

just be aware if you use Boiled linseed oil that the rag that you use to apply it could catch fire

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yq6VW-c2Ts

Another one for Boiled linseed.

Beech:

Stained beech:

Walnut:

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    I have done several stocks with Danish oil. When I did them I applied a coat using a small bit of cotton rag, let it dry well then do another coat. Let dry, lightly sand down to remove any raised fibres etc then apply again. 24 hours between coats is not too long. A gloss will build up as you apply more coats ... working through a matt to a satin to a gloss finish. Let dry thoroughly between coats and as you reach the finish you want use very fine emery type paper. Approx 8 coats should give you a deep glass like gloss ... which is what I aim for. It will be very hard wearing.
    For a beech stock I usually stain the stock to give a darker finish ... I like peruvian mahogany; best to try it out on scrap timber first.
    Cheers, Phil
    Ok cheers bud, Thanks for the reply .

Quote Originally Posted by Retracted_Yeti View Post
    Tru Oil.

Way better than Danish in every way! Imo.
    You wont get it in local shops mind.

HTH.

Roy.
    Thanks bud, I'm to bloody impatient, There is some gun shops around here which may stock it though.

Quote Originally Posted by vestlenning View Post
    Another one for Boiled linseed.

Beech:

Stained beech:

Walnut:

Lovely pics, Was that with linseed.

All the best Mick
    Funny you should say that, Mick.

I (like many others) have spent hours 'palming in' the tiniest amounts of oil, til my hands are burning from friction and the wood is pretty warm too. 24 hrs later, I'd give it the lightest of sandings, blow the dust off, tack rag, thin down a few more drops of oil and start over again. And repeat endlessly.

I was told that Custom Stocks do it by your method, and can get their stocks done in a day, then straight in a box and out the door.

All the best Mick
    Custom Stocks use danish oil as do i after their recomendation. they put danish oil on and take it straight off and have warned me against letting it get sticky. if it gets sticky its very difficult to get off. i hang the stock up for half an hour and do it again. you can get many coats on in a day and the oil gradualy builds up. buff it hard between coats. it results in a lovely sheen in a couple of busy days. much nicer than a high gloss in my opinion. i keep reading of these treatments that take weeks and i dont get it. if its good enough for Custom Stocks its good enough for me. if i could do pics put some pics up of my stocks but alas... pics by email if you wish. Custom stocks due to time available only put two coats on. after 20 its completely different.

I used BLO wasnt totally happy so bought & applied a few coats of CCL, the finish is a nice sheen, very pleased

bought from

thegunshoprugby (4839 Feedback score: 4839)

Chippendale is online now Well stuff me, you live and learn.
    Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    just be aware if you use Boiled linseed oil that the rag that you use to apply it could catch fire

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yq6VW-c2Ts
    So can rags used with Dane Oil but its what I use.

Chippendale (with clothes on)