Thread: Danish or teak oil on gun stock

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by madcarlos View Post
    Hopefully pick some up tomorrow and give it a try, I was going to stain but there's some nice markings on the stock and after cleaning with some white spirits I would like to keep the same colour, Thanks for the info.
    I forgot to say, if you get one coat of Danish oil on and the stock looks a bit too light, you can mix Danish oil with a bit of wood dye for your second and subsequent coats to darken it down --- I normally make a small mix in a seperate bottle.

At one point you could buy Danish oil ready mixed with dye at B&Q, I don't know if they still sell it, but mixing your own is cheaper.

All the best Mick

Danish oil is a fantastic stock treatment and provides far greater protection than BLO, thin the first couple of coats with natural turps 50/50 as it'll aid penetration and speed up drying.

Danish oil is a hybrid oil/varnish, whereas BLO is a drying oil by way of chemical driers being added to sped the process up.

Word of warning if you're going to add any dyes to oil make sure they compatible, i.e. don't put water or spirit based dye in Danish oil.

Earth pigments are better suited to Danish oil or oil based dyes.

TruOil isn't an oil it's a varnish and in my view there are far superior products.

If you want to get on with your stock asap then Colron Danish oil available from Homebase is good although I prefer the Liberon brand if you can get it; not all Danish oil is the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmax View Post
    Danish oil is a fantastic stock treatment and provides far greater protection than BLO, thin the first couple of coats with natural turps 50/50 as it'll aid penetration and speed up drying.

Danish oil is a hybrid oil/varnish, whereas BLO is a drying oil by way of chemical driers being added to sped the process up.

Word of warning if you're going to add any dyes to oil make sure they compatible, i.e. don't put water or spirit based dye in Danish oil.

Earth pigments are better suited to Danish oil or oil based dyes.

TruOil isn't an oil it's a varnish and in my view there are far superior products.

If you want to get on with your stock asap then Colron Danish oil available from Homebase is good although I prefer the Liberon brand if you can get it; not all Danish oil is the same.
    Funny you should mention Liberon as that's all I can get at mo locally apart from ronseal, Anyway my mate does woodturning on a lathe and he told me to go up later as he got lots of different stuff up his house, He's gonna try a few on some fresh planned wood to see what shade I like, Thanks for all the replys tho

I used Liberon Finishing Oil because I already had some for making chopping boards.

This is a blend of oils I believe to make it easier to apply.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmax View Post
    ...not all Danish oil is the same.
    Very true! I have had very different experiences depending upon the brand.

I currently prefer Tru Oil and use it on guitar bodies as well. You can buy it in large bottles on .