Quote Originally Posted by Blackmax View Post
Danish oil is a fantastic stock treatment and provides far greater protection than BLO, thin the first couple of coats with natural turps 50/50 as it'll aid penetration and speed up drying.

Danish oil is a hybrid oil/varnish, whereas BLO is a drying oil by way of chemical driers being added to sped the process up.

Word of warning if you're going to add any dyes to oil make sure they compatible, i.e. don't put water or spirit based dye in Danish oil.

Earth pigments are better suited to Danish oil or oil based dyes.

TruOil isn't an oil it's a varnish and in my view there are far superior products.

If you want to get on with your stock asap then Colron Danish oil available from Homebase is good although I prefer the Liberon brand if you can get it; not all Danish oil is the same.
Funny you should mention Liberon as that's all I can get at mo locally apart from ronseal, Anyway my mate does woodturning on a lathe and he told me to go up later as he got lots of different stuff up his house, He's gonna try a few on some fresh planned wood to see what shade I like, Thanks for all the replys tho