Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help Please re FWB 127 Sport incl front and rear sights

Help Please re FWB 127 Sport incl front and rear sights

I have been offered an FWB 127 Sport (.22).

It is missing its front and rear sights. Is there anywhere I can find these spares?

A new piston seal has been fitted. It is performing at over 11ft/lbs, which suggests the spring is ok. I do not know how accurate the rifles are; I cannot recall from when I owned one as a teenager.

Is there anything I should check before purchasing? I am rather keen to find open sights and if anyone could advise, I should be most grateful.

Many thanks and regards to all,
    Andrew.

Sadly, they are very expensive due to their rarity on the 2nd hand market. Just keep you eyes peeled. I did have some M3 dome headed screws I used to fill the holes for the rear sight. If you want some give me a PM. I've found my 127 works well with Accupells.

i saw some on that auction site recently,not sure if they may have been for a 124 which have different numbers on them but fit.expect to pay around £35-£45 for the rear sight. front sights vary between marks iirc .a wanted add on here may yield also. atb

Beyond the usual second hand checks (does it work, are the screw heads buggered, can I see a bloody OX Spring inside, has some genius carved his initials in the stock with a blunt penknife?):

Check the pistol grip isn't starting to develop a small crack.

Check that the safety works. They often don't (bad design).

Check breech lock-up. In particular the wedge on the receiver that engages the ball bearing on the barrel housing. If it is worn, you will string shots vertically. Fixing it is easy if you have the factory replacement parts. But you can't get them anywhere. Fixing without them involves weld, and skilled metalwork. Which is cheap and easy if you have the skills and kit, or expensive and annoying if (like me) you don't.

Check the trigger pull. Sports seem to be different in trigger quality, ranging from quite poor to very good. Improving poor ones takes a bit of knowledgeable smithing, not just twiddling the adjustment screw.

Sights, as said before me, are v hard to find and pricey when you do. The 124 and 127 sights are different, with the longest range markings being 50 and 40 metres/yards respectively. But do you need them? These beg to be scoped. Sportsmatch still make a dedicated mount for the FWB (and Webley Omega) that has a transverse pin to engage the cut-outs in the scope rail. It is sacrilege to put any scope on that isn't a 1980s Japanese-made gloss one, no larger than 3-9x40.

With the best contemporary brand of pellet (eg proper Wasps, Superdomes, H&N Silouhette) that suited a particular gun, FWBs regularly (in either calibre) shot into 0.30" at 25 yards in the 80s, and would usually shoot a variety of the better brands all into half an inch or less. They will do as well or even better with modern JSB, AA, and other quality makes.

Until the HW77 arrived, the FWB was the top FT rifle, despite its lighter weight, potentially greater hold sensitivity, and worse trigger than the HW break-barrels. (Because it's a better rifle than the HWs.... Ducks and runs for cover. )

A good Sport is a marvellous thing.

As abouve, check too that the barrel is straight. Many well used ones aren't, my user isn't, and it really doesn't matter that much. Can be straightened, I've jumped on mine before (lent it out returned banana. Loads of break barrels get one.)
    They are a bit hold sensitive but I feel they always want to shoot straight. Best shot standing unsupported. A period 4x40 scope is perfect, more scope really doesn't add anything, and if anything gets in the way of shooting one sporting rifle style. Get familiar with the rifle and there isn't a critter safe in the farmyard. Just don't ponce about.

If you want irons then buy one with. If you are going to scope it and shoot it loads then don't worry. Finding them afterwards is a pain. As open sights go FWB Sport ones aren't that marvellous either, better ones are found on HW's and BSA's.

Wow, dear respondents, this is magnificent advice and most gratefully received. It demonstrates the value of this forum, where the advice and expertise would be difficult to exceed.

I do confess to be something of a purist, finding open sights a worthwhile challenge.

I shall carefully consider all these points before any purchase; better before than to discover afterwards.

Very many thanks.
    Andrew.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Until the HW77 arrived, the FWB was the top FT rifle, despite its lighter weight, potentially greater hold sensitivity, and worse trigger than the HW break-barrels. (Because it's a better rifle than the HWs.... Ducks and runs for cover. )
    A good Sport is a marvellous thing.
    Agreed 100%
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Sights on fleabuy now but too rich for my taste. I wonder about making some rear sights. Easy for a 3D printer maybe resin cast?
    However I'm old school so hand skills and metal methinks. Have fun with it. Mine shoot very well in someone else's hands!!

Lack of sights should be reflected in the price.

But if you don't intend to shoot with open sights it shouldn't put you off buying it.

I recently bought a good 127 with a silencer and an 80s Japanese scope.
    The barrel was shortened too.
    So no point in worrying about open sights as couldn't fit them anyway.

The two types of rear sight:

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Airs...ml?sort=6&o=94

Also, IMO the ultimate scope mount is the Apel o/p - they do occasionally appear at airgun fairs and on here for sale.

HTH
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

IIRC there are two different types of foresight mounting too.. one has a crosspin that sits into a recess laterally accross the top of the muzzle; the other not.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    IIRC there are two different types of foresight mounting too.. one has a crosspin that sits into a recess laterally accross the top of the muzzle; the other not.
    Thats correct and unlike the rear sights which are interchangeable the foresight units are not.

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Airs...ml?sort=4&o=16

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Airs...ml?sort=4&o=17
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

On the subjects of sights and mounts, does anyone have a photo of the scope mount specifically for FWB's. I purchased a project rifle before Christmas and with it was a scope mount with a cross pin, held with an 'R' clip which appeared to me as an FWB style mount. Since the demise of photobucket, I've stopped saving photo's to the net, but if anyone wants to view photos of the mounts to give an opinion or could post their own photos for verification.

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalBee View Post
    On the subjects of sights and mounts, does anyone have a photo of the scope mount specifically for FWB's. I purchased a project rifle before Christmas and with it was a scope mount with a cross pin, held with an 'R' clip which appeared to me as an FWB style mount. Since the demise of photobucket, I've stopped saving photo's to the net, but if anyone wants to view photos of the mounts to give an opinion or could post their own photos for verification.
    use imgur.com
    I tried for the first time a few days ago on recomendations from folks here, and it's easier to use, and without the spam...

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalBee View Post
    Specific FWB mount has a cross pin fitted.The Sport has cross cut groves instead of an arrestor hole on the rail.