Thread: Tips for removing a stuck barrel silencer adapter please.

Tips for removing a stuck barrel silencer adapter please.

Hi,
    Picked up a .25" HW barrel off the bay before Xmas. Now I am looking to have a play with it I have found the silencer adapter has been wedged on over the foresight grooves and is stuck fast.
    I tried putting on a silencer for a better grip, didn't work.
    I put a washer between the adapter and silencer, hung it from the jaws of my vice, had a few whacks with a rubber mallet on the breech block. Didn't work.

Anyone have any other ideas before I try to cut/file it off without damaging the barrel?
    Cheers
    Rich
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Get some heat on it.

Heat the adaptor, I assume it will be aluminium and will soften very easily with a bit of heat, you shouldn't mark the blueing on the barrel even if you get the alli up to annealing temp. As you were trying with a silencer I would keep trying with the silencer in a vice and a few smart blows to the breech block it should start moving with a good bit of heat on the adaptor. As a temperature indicator you know you've got the alli to annealing temp if it chars the end of a match stick when touched (obviously not the striking end and not with the blowtorch still one the alli!)
    A rubber mallet may not be the best thing to whack it with, a wooden mallet or try it with a block of wood against the breech block and a normal hammer on it, it'll give a smarter shock the get things moving.
    BSA Super10 addict, other BSA's inc GoldstarSE, Original (Diana) Mod75's, Diana Mod5, HW80's, SAM 11K... All sorted!

Cheers, had tried a wooden block with the rubber mallet too. Will now try heat and wooden block and metal hammer as suggested, hope it saves an hour or so of carefully filing!

Stuck?

Had this problem with a theoben, silencer fixed on with Loctite. Held silencer under hot/boiling water from kettle and barrel under running cold water from tap. Eventually came free with a click! I was able to use a rubber strap wrench, but yours sounds like a straight pull will be needed. HTH David

Yep, looks like there was glue or loctite to help it stick even though forcing it over the grooves probably did a a good enough job! It's off after heat, and a few good whacks with a real hammer on a wooden block!

Let the .25" experiment begin