Thread: Steyr Hunting 5, conversion to "SA".

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Steyr Hunting 5, conversion to "SA".

Phew, I've said it, and without comments from the "Don't Stir Up Hornets Society". Having done so, more astute BBS readers have worked out that I have a "Biathlon Cocking Steyr Hunting 5" that wants to improve itself by a simple mod allowing "Self Indexing". Does this exist in a "Home Improvement" format, or any other involving "Paid Agencies".

Thanks in advance for any informative responses.

Vic Thompson.

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Initially Steyr said they had a kit and were going to post me one for an article, they then said there had been modifications to the action during production and they couldn't be sure it would work.

Make of that what you will, I haven't been in the gun for a poke around as SA isn't all that appealling in of itself.
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Thank you for the prompt response tinbum. Someone has already contacted me by PM suggesting youself as being as being a suitable person to speak to, and I've already sent you a "redundant PM" in that respect.

Your comments regarding Steyr Official Communications are similar" to those received (frustratingly) by myself from them.

From my point of view, there is a lot of similarity between the "Two Items". If such is true, why would any "Manufacturing Concern In Their Right Mind" want to make two such similar looking items with "Entirely Different Actions".

IMHO, the two items are readily convertible between different indexing systems, but Steyr won't release details of how to do so as they want to gain as much Capital Out Of the Market as possible.

Vic Thompson.

Vic have you shot the SA version?
    I was sent the manual by accident and had a chance to shoot it alongside the SA version that another club member had at the time. Although I could have had it collected by courier for exchange I decided to keep it and was credited with the difference. The two chaps I know who bought the SA (for LSR) didn't improve their scores with it and one got shot of it and the other kept his as it's fun to shoot. I had mine for LSR and hunting, although I gave up both and sold it to help fund my Steyr Challenge purchase fund.

I also had the LP50 pistol a while back but as I wasn't shooting rapid or turning targets that went too.

My point, if I have one, is do you want it for fast fire or fun, if its the latter then crack on, if it's the former (unless you've already tried it) I wouldn't bother myself as the manual system is plenty quick enough for rapid and deliberate enough for LSR.

Just my two pennies
    Steyr Challenge HFT - HW97K - BSA Mercury Challenger - Anschutz 9015 One - AA Pro Target - AA Pro Elite - ASI Paratrooper (R) - Walther LP500

Hello bootneckbob. Yes I have as I've owned a few Hunting 5's in the past, in both lengths and both formats (manual and S/A). You're right about little difference between speed of shooting, the manual cocking version is fast enough for most people and for either format, you don't need to break position to index the Magazine. The real difference in my opinion is shot count and accuracy. Both my S/As had a much higher shot count than the Manual version and knocked spots off the Manual as regards accuracy. I could get over 200 shots from my full length S/A and long range accuracy was unrivaled by most guns I've ever owned.

Vic Thompson.

Bumpers : has anyone had a dabble in this area as of yet ?

Vic Thompson