Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who has actually shot a Weihrauch springer with a German restriced spring in it?

Who has actually shot a Weihrauch springer with a German restriced spring in it?

I've asked this before but didn't really get a proper answer.

The Germans are restricted to 6ft lbs of power in their air rifles.

What does a HW97, 77, 95 etc feel like to shoot at this low power? I mean the shooting characteristics, not the accuracy at longer ranges.

Sweet, or horrible?

Has anyone on here actually shot such a rifle? Any German members?
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

i had a 28 coil (iirc) HW35 spring that produced 8ftlbs in my HW80 (.22) really soft recoil as you would imagine, but didn't feel right if that makes sense.

Thanks for the reply.

Not entirely sure what you mean.

The Germans buy these guns after all. There's a German bloke who has done some good disassembly and relube strips on youtube, and one of them was of a 95K. He actually put a vmach spring (German power) in it. Some of you Weihrauch fans will be familiar with the video.

It seemed to shoot very well at lower power. Probably better in 177 than with a 12ftlb spring. I had a couple of 95s in the smaller calibre and found them very lively and subject to muzzle flip at British power levels. God only knows how the Americans find them putting out over 900 fps.

But I suppose the lock time wouldn't be to everyone's taste. Maybe it's a case of what you're used to. The Germans are probably just used to low powered airguns. Maybe Brits would find them sluggish.

The 35 was never meant to be a full power (British power) gun, was it? The early ones , I believe, struggled to clear 10 ft lbs, like most British springers at the time.

One of the purveyors of Vermin Hunters TV, which is also on youtube, Si Pittaway, has his HW98 running at about 9.5 ft lbs and is using it for HFT. He really rates it.

A 6ft lbs air rifle in 177 achieves the same kind of velocity as a 12ftlb 22, as near as I can tell. Of course you've got the loopy trajectory to deal with, but at 600 fps or so, for a back garden air gunner, I wouldn't have thought that would be a huge problem.
    Last edited by Arthur John Smithsplease; 29-06-2013 at 05:25 PM.
    Arthur

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur John Smithsplease View Post
    I suppose the lock time wouldn't be to everyone's taste. Maybe it's a case of what you're used to. The Germans are probably just used to low powered airguns. Maybe Brits would find them sluggish.
    Indeed, the Germans would probably hate the shot cycle of a 12fpe rifle.

My experience with low power leads me to say that you will find a well set up 6 ft lb rifle incredibly smooth and sweet with minimal recoil. For back garden plinking and 10 metre targets it would be fine but for anything else I would regard 10 ft lb as the minimum.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

there is a reason 6fpe target guns have a shorter stroke for 6fpe, tuning a magnum springer down to 6fpe is done best by reducing its stroke also.

Thanks for the replies.
    Arthur

I had one but all I can remember was that the transfer port was about 2.5mm.

I was sold a spring for my HW50 by a well known tuner, he obviously knew nothing about this model and the spring he supplied gave me 5.5fpe, just felt wrong and sooooooo sloooooooow..
    Funnily enough I told him he'd fecked it up and I got the brushoff and told 'no, that spring is the one, those 50's were a bit sh!t'
    He lost my business

Interesting question... do German spec HWs have smaller TPs than UK spec guns?

I recently had a UK spec HW80k (.177) running at 7 FPE with a light gauge spring inside, and it was lovely to cock and to shoot... felt like it was Lazaglided or something...

My little HW30S, which is completely standard and not played with, kicks out 8.5ft.lbs and is very, very sweet. Very, very easy to cock, minimal movement on discharge and very, very accurate. And so easy to extract that accuracy.
    Imagine that with polished internals, correctly fitting guide and top hat and properly re-lubed.
    Then imagine that with a reduced stroke for 6ft.lbs, for an even sweeter firing cycle, fitted into a heavier, HW98 style stock to further dampen out any potential movement. Throw in a nice, heavy barrel sleeve also to add more weight and move that weight forward. It'd make a terrific, very refined, amazingly accurate and self-contained bell target rifle.

I'm sure I have seen that they are not allowed to use Airguns for hunting in Germany, so power is not an issue, which you'd hope would lead to some very, very refined rifles, and, yes, it'd be very interesting to know if the difference in specs would be down purely to the spring, or if TPs were different??
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

I bought a 7,5 joule .177 HW95 from Germany in 2009.

The original setup was lazy, but acciracy was OK.

Have done several setups without changing the stroke length or port diameter, and find the gun to operate best around 13-15fpe.(legal here in Norway).

Below 13fpe the cycle gets slow, and the gun seems to "nod" its barrel during firing, causing Groups to open heightwise on target.

Very interesting and informative, thank you.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

I bought a new 77k .22 from a gun shop in York a few years ago.
    Next day was club night,it was checked in at at 6 ft pounds.
    I was in Hull Cartridge co's front office the next morning,
    they swapped it for a proper one!
    The first one shot like a toy,and was a right showing up.

Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    I bought a 7,5 joule .177 HW95 from Germany in 2009.

The original setup was lazy, but acciracy was OK.

Have done several setups without changing the stroke length or port diameter, and find the gun to operate best around 13-15fpe.(legal here in Norway).

Below 13fpe the cycle gets slow, and the gun seems to "nod" its barrel during firing, causing Groups to open heightwise on target.
    Thread resurrection

Just found this old post while searching for something else, and feel the need to supply more info in case someone is looking for info on 7,5 joule HW95s:
    The .177 HW95 came to me new from Versandhaus Schneider, and was bought in May 2010, not 2009 (checked my order history).
    It came with the original 7,5 joule HW spring, which seems to be a just a cut down full power spring.
    This setup gave slow and lazy firing characteristics.
    Too many airguns!