Thread: Ptfe/nylatron/delrin etc v steel guides

Ptfe/nylatron/delrin etc v steel guides

I've always tried to obtain and fit plastic (generic term here) guides and a good fitting spring to my guns when undertaking an overhaul/service. As we know some manufacturers spring guides leave a lot to be desired e.g early HW guides. Replacement of these is a no brainer to me but what are people's views on some of the more recent manufacturers own guides? Would you still upgrade or put back the standard one?
    My reasons for asking this is that the 'plastic' guides seem to.have much going for them. Better fit (provided they are suited to the spring being used), lower friction (tad sceptical just how big an improvement this is in practice but hey ho). One of my main aims when servicing is to achieve as quiet a discharge noise as possible (i mainly hunt)and close fitting plastic guides would appear to fit the bill. In people's views can the same noise reduction be achieved via close fitting steel guides?
    What you reckon?
    Dave

Some of the standard guides can be very, very good. Like the current HW ones. If they fit the spring well, they work as good as anything. And even better if doubled up with a top hat.

Steel ones will offer greater longevity. Harder and more time consuming to machine up though, reportedly (I don't have a lathe so don't make them).

And I'd guess that due to the difference in materials, resonance etc., a synthetic one will be quieter, although a properly fitting steel one in conjunction with proper lubrication will perform extremely well.

Hope this helps.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

As Tony says really. I have used the newer 2 part HW guides ... nylon (?) tube with steel washer end ... to good effect provided they fit the spring well.
    Cheers, Phil

I am not into springers but in pcp's fitting plastic Spring guides and where possible eliminating metal to metal contact can/does reduces machanical noise, I can see no reason why this would not be the same in a springer.

Bb

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnyone View Post
    I've always tried to obtain and fit plastic (generic term here) guides and a good fitting spring to my guns when undertaking an overhaul/service. As we know some manufacturers spring guides leave a lot to be desired e.g early HW guides. Replacement of these is a no brainer to me but what are people's views on some of the more recent manufacturers own guides? Would you still upgrade or put back the standard one?
    My reasons for asking this is that the 'plastic' guides seem to.have much going for them. Better fit (provided they are suited to the spring being used), lower friction (tad sceptical just how big an improvement this is in practice but hey ho). One of my main aims when servicing is to achieve as quiet a discharge noise as possible (i mainly hunt)and close fitting plastic guides would appear to fit the bill. In people's views can the same noise reduction be achieved via close fitting steel guides?
    What you reckon?
    Dave
    I would say that plastic guides are the easy way because they work, they are much more easy to get right but they are consumables whereas a custom steel guide is a permanent part that lasts the life of the gun if you use the same quality favorite spring it was made for, steel guides are sometimes used on high power guns as they just don't break.
    I like them on AA springers especially because the trigger block is alloy and can wear oval but with a custom steel guide this is very unlikely to happen, the stem and trigger stay all in line

Barry, the picture shows just one of the AA factory guides. The earlier guns used 2 piece guides that fit into the end plugs recess and the newer guns were using the same guide as well. The guide in the picture is the same as my 2000 model year Tx and they were known to come apart. I certainly hope that AA didn't go back to the 1 piece crimped washer/guide set up.

I think if the guide is a good fit to the mainspring, with the proper lube there's no advantage to either steel or delrin. Unfortunately I've seen a few plastic crossed guides that are 'foxed' into the trigger block, so no choice of guide, these are too short and sloppy fitting, causing all sorts of problems. Gamo, bsa and Walther have them.