Thread: Just in: a Stoeger Tell 2

Just in: a Stoeger Tell 2

Just picked this up a Tell 2 in pretty good shape. Fires like a champ but not sure I will Chrony this one. Lol. Fun to see the Stoeger markings but being in the US that would make sense. I asked a couple of days ago if there were any marked Stoeger air pistols besides the Webleys & Tell 2s and got no answer. That may be it? Has good bluing but it has “freckling” if that’s the right term? Very tight I’m sure it wasn’t fired much. Surprising pop from such a small gun. Last pic. is with my Tell 3. Just need the first one, that would be a find! Does anyone have a old Stoeger Catalog that contains the Tell 2, would like to know the date and number to possibly pick one up.

Slideshow:
    https://imgur.com/gallery/IHT4U

Nice example Steve, and the Stoeger mark is definitely a bonus; don't recall noticing that on any of the various Tell II's 've handled. It would be interesting to see which Stoeger catalog (if any) showed this pistol - Cornell Publications LLC in Michigan offers repros of quite a few pre-war Stoeger books so you might possibly get them to dig thru and sell you the one you want.

Don R.

Quote Originally Posted by draitzer View Post
    Nice example Steve, and the Stoeger mark is definitely a bonus; don't recall noticing that on any of the various Tell II's 've handled. It would be interesting to see which Stoeger catalog (if any) showed this pistol - Cornell Publications LLC in Michigan offers repros of quite a few pre-war Stoeger books so you might possibly get them to dig thru and sell you the one you want.

Don R.
    I saw one Stoeger Tell 2 go over a auction site well over a year ago. Had other fish to fry at that moment and the other bidder was on a mission.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    Just picked this up a Tell 2 in pretty good shape. Fires like a champ but not sure I will Chrony this one. Lol. Fun to see the Stoeger markings but being in the US that would make sense. I asked a couple of days ago if there were any marked Stoeger air pistols besides the Webleys & Tell 2s and got no answer. That may be it? Has good bluing but it has “freckling” if that’s the right term? Very tight I’m sure it wasn’t fired much. Surprising pop from such a small gun. Last pic. is with my Tell 3. Just need the first one, that would be a find! Does anyone have a old Stoeger Catalog that contains the Tell 2, would like to know the date and number to possibly pick one up.

Slideshow:
    Hi Steve, nice find that with the Stoeger name on it. l have just looked in my Stoeger cat no 27 dated 1936 and there is no Tell 2 in there.

Quote Originally Posted by micky2 View Post
    Hi Steve, nice find that with the Stoeger name on it. l have just looked in my Stoeger cat no 27 dated 1936 and there is no Tell 2 in there.
    Thanks for looking.

Thumbs up

That's a beauty!

I can't believe i've never bought a Tell 2

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    That's a beauty!

I can't believe i've never bought a Tell 2

John
    I actually thought about it before but laid off cause they seemed so much like a toy. But better made than I thought, and the Stoeger connection intrigued me. Bought another Stoeger gun this same week but it hasn’t come yet.

Slideshow:
    Another nice find.

I have never come across a Tell 2 with Stoeger markings before. They are included in the 1934 Stoeger catalogue but not the 1939. As they were introduced during the 1920s, I'd expect to find them in late 1920s/early 1930s Stoeger catalogues.

Well done on a very interesting acquisition.

John

Great find - looks like your 2018 is off to a flying start

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Another nice find.

I have never come across a Tell 2 with Stoeger markings before. They are included in the 1934 Stoeger catalogue but not the 1939. As they were introduced during the 1920s, I'd expect to find them in late 1920s/early 1930s Stoeger catalogues.

Well done on a very interesting acquisition.

John
    Well done Steve, I too have never come across a Stoeger-marked Tell 2 before, and a very important find from a historical point of view. I agree with John's comments about potential dates for these. The 1934 Stoeger catalogue also shows the FLZ 1 pistol, so it makes you wonder if these might not have been marked as well. Something to look out for on your side of the pond.

Something else to look out for along these lines would be the imported Warrior that was brand marked in similar vein by Abercrombie & Fitch, New York:

Not mine unfortunately, and unlikely to ever turn up over here.

Happy hunting!

John

Wonder if the Webley Stoeger models encouraged the Germans to compete by adding the Stoeger name. Given the time frame for Stoeger’s francise for Webley, it may be just the later Tell 2s had the name? Webley also could have reduced Tell sales by then, this catalog was going to people with money to afford a better pistol. The Blue Book has the Tell 2 from 1925 to 1940. Hiller 1927-1936. Wonder if Hiller is right given Stoeger Catalogs?
    Last edited by 45flint; 20-01-2018 at 01:48 PM.

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Wonder if the Webley Stoeger models encouraged the Germans to compete by adding the Stoeger name. Given the time frame for Stoeger’s francise for Webley, it may be just the later Tell 2s had the name? Webley also could have reduced Tell sales by then, this catalog was going to people with money to afford a better pistol. The Blue Book has the Tell 2 from 1925 to 1940. Hiller 1927-1936. Wonder if Hiller is right given Stoeger Catalogs?
    The latest catalogue entry for the Tell 2 that I have seen is in a German Kaba catalogue, dated 1940.

Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    The latest catalogue entry for the Tell 2 that I have seen is in a German Kaba catalogue, dated 1940.
    Stoeger must have dropped them.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Just looked in a German Noris cat 1938 and the Tell 2 is in there.