Thread: What 0.01gn Pellet Scales, NOT 0.02gn! Help Anyone?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

What 0.01gn Pellet Scales, NOT 0.02gn! Help Anyone?

Hello all, im looking to buy some pellet scales and have found that most available measure down to 0.2gn, and not 0.1gn? even the mtm case guard scales say +/- .2gn! although i read a (gunmart i think) review saying they did do better than their stated 0.2gn and was actually 0.1gn? I have had the on balance 500, £20 eebay type before, and they where the same 0.2gn lowest reading. I sold them on to my neighbour who uses them for metal detecting, so i could borrow them back, if these are as good as it gets?? without spending over £50 on a new set that will give that accuracy? Please help, thanks m.

You need a scale which can measure a thousandth of a gram. Many digital scales only measure hundredths of a gram .01 which is 0.154 grains. Hundredths scales don't have the resolution to do .1 of a grain.

If you google or search eblag for .001 scale you will find some, but of course vouching for a good one may prove difficult.

I just had a quick look and 253240120754 looks interesting. Its resolution is .005 grams which is 0.077 grain.

There are cheaper ones for the jewellery trade.

Quote Originally Posted by aris View Post
    You need a scale which can measure a thousandth of a gram. Many digital scales only measure hundredths of a gram .01 which is 0.154 grains. Hundredths scales don't have the resolution to do .1 of a grain.

If you google or search eblag for .001 scale you will find some, but of course vouching for a good one may prove difficult.

I just had a quick look and 253240120754 looks interesting. Its resolution is .005 grams which is 0.077 grain.

There are cheaper ones for the jewellery trade.
    thanks, i wonder if this may do the job?

Quote Originally Posted by echo1974 View Post
    thanks, i wonder if this may do the job?
    Perhaps one of the .001 gram scales may be better for weighing pellets rather than one accurate to .005g/.1gn, though I doubt you will find very many with the same exact weight to the thousandths of a gram. I suspect concentricity is more important than .1 of a grain. Then again, if you reload cartridges for rifles, you may find the .1gn resolution useful for weighing powder.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    note also there is a big difference between precision and accuracy...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    note also there is a big difference between precision and accuracy...
    Please feel free to expand on this, thanks m

I'm tempted to just say "why ?"
    I doubt that 1/10gn is going to have any great effect on POI of the pellet.

On a more constructive note mine sometimes flickers from .2-.4 or whatever which to me says it actually weighs .3, so in effect it is accurate to 0.1gn.

ps I'm guessing that you mean 0.1gn as per the text not 0.01gn of the title.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    I'm tempted to just say "why ?"
    I doubt that 1/10gn is going to have any great effect on POI of the pellet.

On a more constructive note mine sometimes flickers from .2-.4 or whatever which to me says it actually weighs .3, so in effect it is accurate to 0.1gn.

ps I'm guessing that you mean 0.1gn as per the text not 0.01gn of the title.
    Yea, i couldnt change the title after i noticed i put a extra 0 in it, but i did change it in the main text, to make it easier for all to understand