Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What 0.01gn Pellet Scales, NOT 0.02gn! Help Anyone?

What 0.01gn Pellet Scales, NOT 0.02gn! Help Anyone?

Hello all, im looking to buy some pellet scales and have found that most available measure down to 0.2gn, and not 0.1gn? even the mtm case guard scales say +/- .2gn! although i read a (gunmart i think) review saying they did do better than their stated 0.2gn and was actually 0.1gn? I have had the on balance 500, £20 eebay type before, and they where the same 0.2gn lowest reading. I sold them on to my neighbour who uses them for metal detecting, so i could borrow them back, if these are as good as it gets?? without spending over £50 on a new set that will give that accuracy? Please help, thanks m.

You need a scale which can measure a thousandth of a gram. Many digital scales only measure hundredths of a gram .01 which is 0.154 grains. Hundredths scales don't have the resolution to do .1 of a grain.

If you google or search eblag for .001 scale you will find some, but of course vouching for a good one may prove difficult.

I just had a quick look and 253240120754 looks interesting. Its resolution is .005 grams which is 0.077 grain.

There are cheaper ones for the jewellery trade.

I'm tempted to just say "why ?"
    I doubt that 1/10gn is going to have any great effect on POI of the pellet.

On a more constructive note mine sometimes flickers from .2-.4 or whatever which to me says it actually weighs .3, so in effect it is accurate to 0.1gn.

ps I'm guessing that you mean 0.1gn as per the text not 0.01gn of the title.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    I'm tempted to just say "why ?"
    I doubt that 1/10gn is going to have any great effect on POI of the pellet.

On a more constructive note mine sometimes flickers from .2-.4 or whatever which to me says it actually weighs .3, so in effect it is accurate to 0.1gn.

ps I'm guessing that you mean 0.1gn as per the text not 0.01gn of the title.
    Yea, i couldnt change the title after i noticed i put a extra 0 in it, but i did change it in the main text, to make it easier for all to understand

Quote Originally Posted by aris View Post
    You need a scale which can measure a thousandth of a gram. Many digital scales only measure hundredths of a gram .01 which is 0.154 grains. Hundredths scales don't have the resolution to do .1 of a grain.

If you google or search eblag for .001 scale you will find some, but of course vouching for a good one may prove difficult.

I just had a quick look and 253240120754 looks interesting. Its resolution is .005 grams which is 0.077 grain.

There are cheaper ones for the jewellery trade.
    thanks, i wonder if this may do the job?

Quote Originally Posted by echo1974 View Post
    thanks, i wonder if this may do the job?
    Perhaps one of the .001 gram scales may be better for weighing pellets rather than one accurate to .005g/.1gn, though I doubt you will find very many with the same exact weight to the thousandths of a gram. I suspect concentricity is more important than .1 of a grain. Then again, if you reload cartridges for rifles, you may find the .1gn resolution useful for weighing powder.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    note also there is a big difference between precision and accuracy...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    note also there is a big difference between precision and accuracy...
    Please feel free to expand on this, thanks m

JerryD is offline Will only use cherry lipbalm
    Please feel free to expand on this, thanks m
    Precision: the ability to repeat the result
    Accuracy: the ability to reflect the true value.

Put simply in shooting terms, precision is group size, accuracy is proximity (or lack therof) to aim point. For scales, precision is the spread of weight readings against the true weight of the item measured, accuracy is the variance of actual weight to the weight shown.

The actual reading of any instrument is a combination of (im)precision and (in)accuracy, and requires an initial measurement systems analysis to determine how good/bad that instrument is. For scales you may weigh the same pellet 10 times and get a range from 8.1 - 8.4g, range of 0.3 gr. A known test weight of 50gr may be displayed as 49.8gr.This could have a range of 0.3gr, but also be 0.2gr inaccurate.

Getting scales of better resolution is only beneficial if they are of the precision and accuracy to benefit from the finer resolution.

Jerry

Thanks for all replys, The one i tried was on balance 500, but it only goes down to 2gn not 0.2gn?? so if i put a jsb exact 8.44gn on them it flickers between 8 and 10gn and the same with a jumbo 16gn flickers either from 14-16, 16 dead, or 16-18gn! which makes them useless. Do the above mention perform better than this? OR is this the norm. thanks m
    Last edited by echo1974; 21-01-2018 at 04:29 PM.

Thanks for all replys, The one i tried was on balance 500, but it only goes down to 2gn not 0.2gn?? so if i put a jsb exact 8.44gn on them it flickers between 8 and 10gn and the same with a jumbo 16gn flickers either from 14-16, 16 dead, or 16-18gn! which makes them useless. Do the above mention perform better than this? OR is this the norm. thanks m
    I use a cheap set £6.99 from fleabay just put in rad ejd-100 and they should come up ! Mine are accurate to 0.02g although it says they are from 100g x 0.01g .for that money give them a try . Mike
    Last edited by nuggs; 21-01-2018 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Missing word

JSB offer weight sorted pellets. Sorted by a machine, dont try to be one.

their sales did not take off, since the whole process does not really bring any major/remarkable improvement in precision.

on a certain US forum the weighing leveled up to new level of madness.

still they failed to show correlation between POI move and weight difference of such a small scale.

i would just stop and forget the whole thing.

Diabolo shaped pellets are actually so smart I would say self homing, they behave the shuttlecock way, if they leave the barrel faster, they will loose speed faster along the flight so POI will be very similar. Plus in the aigun, the way the communicating vessels work with the pellet also a factor it equals things out.
    Last edited by krisko; 21-01-2018 at 05:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by krisko View Post
    JSB has in their offerings weight sorted pellets.

they did not take off, since it does not bring any remarkable improvement in precision.

on certain US forum the weighing levelled up to new level of madness.

still they failed to show correlation between POI move and weight difference of such a small scale.

i would just stop and forget the whole thing.

Diabolo shaped pellets are actually so smart I would say self homing, they behave the shuttlecock way, if they leave the barrel faster, they will loose speed faster along the flight so POI will be very similar. Plus in the aigun, the way the communicating vessels work with the pellet also a factor it equals things out.
    It’s still nice to weigh the pellets before putting through a chrony and seeing nice single figure deviations which you don’t normally get with pellets straight from the tin as they do vary ! If anything just to give a good feeling of how the gun is performing ..... or not Mike .

my scales say 200g in .001 increments.

The box has marking for 50g/.001 and 100g/.001
    This came from . pocket scale.

I do weigh pellets but not individually, I weigh ten to get an average for the boxes not marked.

fleabay it search for this 10g / 0.001g LCD Digital Electronic Pocket Gram Jewelry Diamond Scale Silver

ideally you want something what maxes out(full range) at 3 or 5 gram, 10g will be fine, you may have to send back if it does not give you the same reading repeatedly. but cheap so no real loss.
    but as i said it is waste of your time