Not sure this should be in air rifle as it's probably not an air rifle solution ... unless you convince me otherwise.

I live in a three bed semi. I have Ivy growing all over my house and it goes up to the gable end. In a storm last winter a piece of the 'concrete' on the gable end ( size of a housebrick ) fell out ( and landed on top of my caravan ).

I'm dreadful with height. The bloke two doors away fits guttering for a living and he climbs on rooves for fun. He said he would pop on the roof and fix it. It'd take him 5 minutes.

I've been waiting a year.

Anyway ... girl one side of me ( not attached ) said " Ooh ... You need get that sorted. Rats will climb up your Ivy and get into the loft ". I thought ... " What a load of b0ll0x ".

Anyway ... bloke next door ( attached ) came around last night. He says he's had the council pest control in as his missus keeps hearing something in their loft. Council bloke goes in loft and says he can see rat droppings. He says he's put something up there to sort rat ( neighbour didn't know if it is trap or poison ... I'd of thought the latter ). He's popping back in a few days and apparently he is allowed to make 4 visits ( what happens after that? ).

I'm wondering if the rat did climb up the Ivy and got in that way?

Council bloke said that once in the rat will be able to make his way freely between their loft and into my loft and all around the cavity walling of both properties.

Apart from obviously get that gap filled ASAP just in case, are there any suggestions.

I'm presuming shooting this fella in the loft is going to be tricky, so traps/poison is the way to go?

Any comments ( other than ... You should have got that gap filled sooner )?