Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rat in the loft!

Quote Originally Posted by Mole trapper View Post
    So, I'm going to say by law your neighbour should have been left with a report sheet of what he has had done in the loft by the council bod.
    Just a quick update ...

The Council guy has left a report.

He's not put traps down. He's put down poison in next doors loft. Difenacoum and Brodifacoum.

I spoke to a local pro controller who said that he knew the council would have done that. He said that he wouldn't have put poison down as he would want a corpse to remove. So he would have used traps. He actually asked if there's a tree in the garden as well as the Ivy. I said that there is a large Ash tree. He said it wouldn't surprise him if it was a squirrel rather than a rat. I said the Council guy said he's see rat droppings. He said on many occasions he's followed the Council and found squirrels and not rats when they've said it is rats.

The local pro guy said it's best if I do nowt for now and see if the Council sort it. He did say that if the poison kills it and it dies inside the property then there will be a smell for about 5 weeks. He also warned to check the gardens every morning before letting the dogs out. The Council left a report and on that report there is an Emergency Action card to give to hospitals or vets. Basically says to treat with Vitamin K1, as that's the antidote.

Well ... the rat is dead.

At least ... a rat is dead.

The noises in the loft stopped. A dead rat was found in the neighbours back garden. No noises in the loft now for a couple of weeks since the corpse was found. The council guy came and took the dead rat away.

So it looks like the poison did the trick and the corpse thankfully wasn't hidden in the loft somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by bozzer View Post
    Well ... the rat is dead.

At least ... a rat is dead.

The noises in the loft stopped. A dead rat was found in the neighbours back garden. No noises in the loft now for a couple of weeks since the corpse was found. The council guy came and took the dead rat away.

So it looks like the poison did the trick and the corpse thankfully wasn't hidden in the loft somewhere.
    Good result especially that a corpse was found. There's a lot of other animals apart from your dogs that could have eaten it that wouldn't have a vet. Hate poisoning, I prefer live traps, though the crafty buggers are ignoring mine now.

Just last week I had what sounded like a heard of Elephants crashing about in the loft, when I went up I found a mouse with its leg caught in one of those "big cheese" plastic snap traps.
    Would never have thought something that small could make so much noise dragging the trap about.

Its amaizing how much noise comes from a mouse in the middle of the night, it always sounds like they've got glogs on.

Yes a good result all around.

Ratty gone. No smelly decaying corpse. Corpse was untouched in their garden. So my dogs hadn't chewed on it and hopefully no other animals, domestic or otherwise had a knock on from the poison.

I would personally just use a trap. Been up in my loft trying to hunt a rat and its just a ballache. Trying to use a rifle up there while not trying to put your feet through the ceiling in dimlight is just a hazard waiting to happen lol.