Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HW30s hassles

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day

HW30s hassles

So I got my HW30s from Germany yesterday afternoon (top service considering it was ordered sunday), and after firing 3 or 4 shots stripped the whole thing down.

As a matter of interest, particularly with regards to a conversation recently about whether you should 'shoot in' a new HW with a tin of pellets before stripping:
    *No synthetic bearing block on the cocking lever.
    *Galling evident at the front of the cylinder and front of the cocking slot.
    *Internals slathered in nasty grease, including plenty in font of the piston (strong smell of dieseling upon firing)
    *Burnt grease on the front of the piston.
    *Cocking slot and all other cylinder holes for that matter were as rough as a badgers arse.
    *Spring ends were flattened properly but sharp edges still had to be removed.
    *Cocking linkage pins now appear to be peened.

The whole thing was stripped, deburred. I made a top hat (a massive hassle without a lathe). Filed gouge marks out of the cylinder. Cut away material from the cocking linkage, made a plastic bearing. Added a slight countersink to the screwhole in the rear cylinder block.
    Reassembled.

Then I added a williams peep sight and tried to zero at 6 yards. The rear sight had to go quite far over to the left. Couldn't quite figure out why, until I noticed that the dovetail for the foresight was off center...

Now I went into this with my eyes open, knowing all the issue that HW's and HW30s' in particular have. But I wasn't really prepared for this. A bit gutting seeing that I specifically bought it to use with open sights.

Now, is there any way to turn the barrel in the breech block? Do I have to undo that weird nut where the breech seal sits?

Or have I just completely wasted the best part of £200?
    Last edited by eyebull; 20-01-2018 at 12:27 PM.
    Good deals with these members

Very disappointing to hear that there are still issues with new HWs. Can you contact the seller and see if they will exchange the barrel if you return your dud?
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Quote Originally Posted by averageplinker View Post
    Very disappointing to hear that there are still issues with new HWs. Can you contact the seller and see if they will exchange the barrel if you return your dud?
    Might be worth a try, though they are in Germany and there is no guarantee that the new barrel will not be the same.

Alternative is modifying the foresight I suppose?

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by averageplinker View Post
    I'd do that...

Alternative is to use a different type of foresight that clamps around the muzzle, i.e. none dovetail type.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    That is a shocker, although hopefully you can unscrew the star thing and turn it around & square it up.

One HW30 I came across had the cocking slot cut at a slight angle to the centre-line of the cylinder. I cleaned up the edges and it didn't affect function, but for Heaven's sake it is supposed to be a quality brand and I got rid of it.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    That is a shocker, although hopefully you can unscrew the star thing and turn it around & square it up.
    I think they are splined, so not going to turn...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

In that case I'm looking at an over-barrel foresight then. Any recommendations?

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    So, uncrew, heat, tap with hammer then re-align and reglue ... massive arsepain.

I guess it is one of the risks of buying from Germany that this kind of problem is a big problem. If the rifles been stripped then it cant be taken back anyway. New barrel is about £50, flog the old one to someone who uses a scope or wants to chop it (a chopped HW30 would make a great barn gun).

So, uncrew, heat, tap with hammer then re-align and reglue ... massive arsepain.

I guess it is one of the risks of buying from Germany that this kind of problem is a big problem. If the rifles been stripped then it cant be taken back anyway. New barrel is about £50, flog the old one to someone who uses a scope or wants to chop it (a chopped HW30 would make a great barn gun).
    I don't think I'll do that - there is no guarantee that the new barrel will not be exactly the same.
    It wasn't really evident using the standard rearsight, only when I put the peep on, so even mounting it up in a shop wouldn't have helped.

Do you understand what Splined means mate ? Whats going on with Weirauch
    used to be the best quality springers you could buy

Quote Originally Posted by mallyally View Post
    Do you understand what Splined means mate ? Whats going on with Weirauch
    used to be the best quality springers you could buy
    The splines run parallel to the barrel, so can't the barrel be removed from the block and rotated by one or more spline-notches & re-inserted? Or have I got fog on the Spline?

A quick fix would be to fit the muzzle end from an Air Arms or CZ S200 target rifle, you can get these for about £25. Its an interchangeable hood mounted on dovetails on something that looks like a muczzle break. Both rifles have 15mm barrel diameters so it should fit.

https://www.ant-supplies.uk/scopes-s...un-sights.html

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    In the HW95 breech block I swapped to an Anschutz barrel, Jon, the HW barrel was splined, but not the breech block, so if the HW30 is the same, and unless there's a cross pin in the block, the barrel could be refitted at any angle.

A quick fix would be to fit the muzzle end from an Air Arms or CZ S200 target rifle, you can get these for about £25. Its an interchangeable hood mounted on dovetails on something that looks like a muczzle break. Both rifles have 15mm barrel diameters so it should fit.

https://www.ant-supplies.uk/scopes-s...un-sights.html
    Thanks mate, that looks like the best option for now. I suspect that if I try getting the barrel out of the block I'll end up making a hash of it, especially given the ambiguity about how it may be fixed.

Of course that does completely invalidate the silencer I bought for it () but hopefully if I sell that on here I can offset the cost of the new sight.

Incidentally is the AA rear diopter any good on springers?

Quote Originally Posted by eyebull View Post
    Thanks mate, that looks like the best option for now. I suspect that if I try getting the barrel out of the block I'll end up making a hash of it, especially given the ambiguity about how it may be fixed.

Incidentally is the AA rear diopter any good on springers?
    Yes, I would not trust myself to fix that particular problem either.

I think the AA diopter is a functional but cheaply made piece of kit, like the old Milbro job. I have a Williams peep-sight on my HW30S and with the square blade it can shoot into a 20mm circle at 30 yards. The Williams (Beeman) sight has a much bigger aperture than the more 'target' orientated sights, which may lose a little accuracy but means you can shoot in a variety of light intensities. I tried one off an old Walther 55 target gun and it was just too small to let much light in, they are made for brightly lit indoor ranges. Or people with younger eyes....