Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: HW30s hassles

I quite fancied a 30s but not anymore. As much as I love HW's I quickly flipped a newish 95 and 99, had qc issues with my 97 from Holland which I still own along with two 90's which are excellent and a battered old 35 export that shoots very nice. Ready this thread reminds me of reading about the qc of a smk b2 costing £40 new, not nearly £200. In my mind you might as well buy a Remington express or hatsan 60/55 do less work and end up with a cracking gun for a third of the price, I know I've done it.
    What I don't understand surely the machining is more precise with cnc etc now than 30 years ago, when human error was more a possibility?

peddy,

It is odd that HW continue to put out, what you might call sh!te, despite being very well aware of the issues that some of their rifles have

I know the vendors of my HW30S forwarded my photos of the disgracefully bad state the 30S was in,to Weihrauch, but they too have had no reply

All my HW rifles (HW30S, HW99S, and HW95 SuperMatch), have all needed fettling to arrive at their current sublime state.

Have fun & a good Sunday

Best regards

Russ

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Quote Originally Posted by DJP View Post
    Yep, and that was one of the best that I've had too!
    If I ever move it on I'll give you first refusal. I am a hoarder though, so this is unlikely...

Quote Originally Posted by PhatMan View Post
    eyebull,
    I had exactly the same thing with my brand hew HW30S I bought late last year (laser etching on breech block, so relatively recent manufacture).
    The piston seal was burnt, and also torn, and the spring was very bent (S-shaped).
    I had put not one shot through the rifle, when I stripped it down, and found the below.

What are the marks next to the two arrows? Didn't notice that on mine.

Lovely. Would love to know where you got that middle stock, and what diopter you are using?
    Good deals with these members

Quote Originally Posted by peddy View Post
    I quite fancied a 30s but not anymore. As much as I love HW's I quickly flipped a newish 95 and 99, had qc issues with my 97 from Holland which I still own along with two 90's which are excellent and a battered old 35 export that shoots very nice. Ready this thread reminds me of reading about the qc of a smk b2 costing £40 new, not nearly £200. In my mind you might as well buy a Remington express or hatsan 60/55 do less work and end up with a cracking gun for a third of the price, I know I've done it.
    What I don't understand surely the machining is more precise with cnc etc now than 30 years ago, when human error was more a possibility?
    peddy,

It is odd that HW continue to put out, what you might call sh!te, despite being very well aware of the issues that some of their rifles have

I know the vendors of my HW30S forwarded my photos of the disgracefully bad state the 30S was in,to Weihrauch, but they too have had no reply

All my HW rifles (HW30S, HW99S, and HW95 SuperMatch), have all needed fettling to arrive at their current sublime state.

Have fun & a good Sunday

Best regards

Russ
    I know where you're coming from, Peddy, and yes, it is somewhat both puzzling and frustrating.

But, once suitably fettled, as Russ says, they are so sublime to shoot; quality barrels, triggers etc. And, despite these well documented issues, they never seem to fail to find buyers on the secondhand market. Many of the budget guns, as competent as they may be, won't be able to boast these credentials and do not seem to attract buyers easily, even when priced very cheaply. And I have spoken to a few RFDs in the past who, although seemingly more than willing to sell new Chinese guns refuse to take them in part exchange once the owner wants to upgrade.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    I know where you're coming from, Peddy, and yes, it is somewhat both puzzling and frustrating.

But, once suitably fettled, as Russ says, they are so sublime to shoot; quality barrels, triggers etc. And, despite these well documented issues, they never seem to fail to find buyers on the secondhand market. Many of the budget guns, as competent as they may be, won't be able to boast these credentials and do not seem to attract buyers easily, even when priced very cheaply. And I have spoken to a few RFDs in the past who, although seemingly more than willing to sell new Chinese guns refuse to take them in part exchange once the owner wants to upgrade.
    I rarely buy guns new, my last one was a hw97 from Holland, the cocking lever rubs on the stock and the dovetail doesn't quite line up with the trigger block. my last three HW's were bought as broken not firing! My hatsan and remmy bought used for 2/3 of cost new off here for the cost of what some folk are spending sorting their new HW's out, both shoot spot on. As you say when fettled HW's are class, but I don't expect to pay £200 plus, then to try rectify poor engineering. Out of curiosity I wonder if new AA springers are a shadow of older examples. I'd never buy another new HW.

I've worked on a few HW30's now and despite them shooting sublimely eventually, for the asking price and the work normally involved to get them right, I don't think they're value for money. A catalogue of design / manufacturing errors:
    * Gauling like you'd never believe, with extensive picking of the cylinder and two grooves cut in from the cocking arm measuring approx. 1.5mm deep.
    * The fit between cocking arm and the cross pin that stops it flexing being an interference fit that only frees after the pin has been bent out of shape
    * The front stock bolt tapped hole on the bracket being welded on back to front, which meant the stock bolt wouldn't locate (I had to redrill and tap the bracket to allow the bolt to fit).
    *Perfekt trigger unit that went hair trigger without any notice
    * The cocking slot on the piston bruising towards the rear skirt, which meant on the cocking stroke, metal to metal interference caused the action to jam up
    *Out of round cylinders leading to intermittent carry forward of lube, past the piston seal

Good when fettled - but is it worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalBee View Post
    I've worked on a few HW30's now and despite them shooting sublimely eventually, for the asking price and the work normally involved to get them right, I don't think they're value for money. A catalogue of design / manufacturing errors:
    * Gauling like you'd never believe, with extensive picking of the cylinder and two grooves cut in from the cocking arm measuring approx. 1.5mm deep.
    * The fit between cocking arm and the cross pin that stops it flexing being an interference fit that only frees after the pin has been bent out of shape
    * The front stock bolt tapped hole on the bracket being welded on back to front, which meant the stock bolt wouldn't locate (I had to redrill and tap the bracket to allow the bolt to fit).
    *Perfekt trigger unit that went hair trigger without any notice
    * The cocking slot on the piston bruising towards the rear skirt, which meant on the cocking stroke, metal to metal interference caused the action to jam up
    *Out of round cylinders leading to intermittent carry forward of lube, past the piston seal

Good when fettled - but is it worth it?
    Like I said sounds like a smk b2 review but worst!!

Thanks, all, for reminding me of one reason I haven't bought a new springer in over 20 years.

My afternoon plink today included a 1950s Diana 35 and a 1950s Webley MkIII. Both in excellent condition. Both great to shoot, even allowing for age and design issues. Both cost me less than a brand new HW30. Neither has chewed itself to bits in over 50 years of use. And they have things like proper deep bluing, no plastic bits, and hand-chequered walnut (on the Webley), and they will not depreciate in value.

eyebull,

The two (2) dimples on the breech block base, are caused by the cocking arm joint.

I filed off some metal to reduce the contact there.

My HW99S stock, is the standard Minelli stock, shortened by about 3/4", and has had the pistol grip area built up with epoxy and lolly sticks, then filed to shape.

It is painted with automotive acrylic grey undercoat, then with Ford Electric Orange Pearl.

The Minelli stock was far too long for me, and the hand position to the trigger was absolutely sh!te for me - I couldn't get the pad of my finger onto the trigger properly

Now, my trigger finger pad is at right angles to the trigger, the hand position 'correct', my trigger finger is parallel to the barrel, and the trigger can be pulled straight back - much more comfortable to shoot, and allows me to better exploit the accuracy of the 99S

Have fun

Best regards

Russ