Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: HW30s hassles

Quote Originally Posted by eyebull View Post
    I made a top hat (a massive hassle without a lathe).
    You could have bought one on egun.de for 7 € only see item 6802215

Sorry to hear also You have many problems with Your HW30. Never unscrew an airgun or You will loose German warranty (2 years).

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    I think the AA diopter is a functional but cheaply made piece of kit, like the old Milbro job. I have a Williams peep-sight on my HW30S and with the square blade it can shoot into a 20mm circle at 30 yards. The Williams (Beeman) sight has a much bigger aperture than the more 'target' orientated sights, which may lose a little accuracy but means you can shoot in a variety of light intensities. I tried one off an old Walther 55 target gun and it was just too small to let much light in, they are made for brightly lit indoor ranges. Or people with younger eyes....
    I'll see how I get on with the AA front and williams rear then, the AA rear seems readily available from a few sources so no biggie if I need to get one later.

Quote Originally Posted by Luftgewehr100 View Post

Sorry to hear also You have many problems with Your HW30. Never unscrew an airgun or You will loose German warranty (2 years).
    If I hadn't opened it up then it would have been completely ruined after a tin of pellets! This isn't a one-off friday gun, this is the norm now sadly.
    Good deals with these members

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by Luftgewehr100 View Post

Problem is that all the new HW30 rifles need to be dismantled, finished and rebuilt or they damage themselves. The same goes for the HW99S and HW50S. If someone in the UK buys from Germany, it is assumed that the guarentee is not going to be used.

It reminds me of the worst steak I ever had, in a Wetherspoons last year . Ordered medium rare.
    Steak came to the table Well (over) Done, chips were undercooked, veg looked like it had been stewing for a week in a bain marie. It was not a busy night, maybe one or two other people eating.
    Missus said I should send it back, I didn't see the point - the chef obviously thought this crap was entirely acceptable, there was no reason to think it would be any better if he had another go at it. If he had to be told what was wrong with that plate then he's an incompetent moron. I haven't eaten there since.

HW are the same - they obviously think it's acceptable to send their guns out in this state, so what's the point in sending it back, just for them to send out yet another badly finished gun that I will still have to fettle in my precious free time?

Just like the wetherspoons, I think it's time i voted with my feet - this will be the last time I buy a HW new.

Sorry to hear about that OP, but sadly it appears par for the course with new HW's these days.

My new HW35 had a catalog of issues as well. Weihrauch build quality has gone to the dogs.

The best HW I've had is the one I bought off you Dave!

The best HW I've had is the one I bought off you Dave!
    Yep, and that was one of the best that I've had too!

[...] Just like the wetherspoons, I think it's time i voted with my feet - this will be the last time I buy a HW new.
    I think it was a mistake to assume your local Wetherspoons employs any kind of a qualified chef.

The question - Is there a parallel with whom HW employ on the production line?

Wetherspoons do cheap food and drink - HW are not cheap airguns.

I think quite a few different makes of air rifle use a push fit 15mm fore sight. Just a matter of finding the right one !

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    I think it was a mistake to assume your local Wetherspoons employs any kind of a qualified chef.

The question - Is there a parallel with whom HW employ on the production line?

Wetherspoons do cheap food and drink - HW are not cheap airguns.
    In retrospect the only possible explanation for all this is that a gunsmith cooked my steak and a chef put my HW30S together.

eyebull,

I had exactly the same thing with my brand hew HW30S I bought late last year (laser etching on breech block, so relatively recent manufacture).

The piston seal was burnt, and also torn, and the spring was very bent (S-shaped).

I had put not one shot through the rifle, when I stripped it down, and found the below.

Did remedial work with the metal-work, put a PTFE block in the cocking arm, and fitted a Vortek PG2 kit.

Shoots sublimely now.

Have fun & a good Sunday

Best regards

Russ

Last edited by PhatMan; 21-01-2018 at 08:34 AM.

All a little upsetting, really, but we've been aware of it for years.

It is a shame that the mighty HW haven't resolved the issue with many of the hinged lever models.

It wouldn't put me off and I own five 35s, two 99s, an older 50, a 55T and three 30Ss (soon to be four).

I'm hopeless at doing links etc. but Google up "Springgunning R7 Tune". It's a US tuner's site and makes quite interesting reading for those unaware of "the issues". Also goes into piston issues as have been pointed out here before (CapitalBee?).

In my view, the little 30 is just that much of a little jewel with its superb firing manners, accuracy and forgiving nature and warrants any effort required.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by PhatMan View Post
    eyebull,

I had exactly the same thing with my brand hew HW30S (laser etching on breech block).

Have fun & a good Sunday

Best regards

Russ

I'm hoping my new synthetic will be arriving shortly....we'll see!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

TonyL,

I hope your HW30S will be perfect

I also am not especially put off HW - I knew it was more than likely that my HW99S and HW30S would suffer from some issues.

I sent my HW99S to Shauny as soon as I got it, and he did a superb job of fettling it

As an aside, the HW99S was in a far better state from the factory than was my HW30S.

The HW99S, had some marks on the cylinder, but had not yet shown any signs of full-on galling.

After the fettle, it has show no signs of 'ill', with ca. 5000 pellets under its belt, so I can say that this HW99S is fixed

However, I knew my HW30S would be in a shocking state from the get-go, and I wasn't disappointed

Again, after a fettle, it is not showing signs of 'ill', with ca. 2000 pellets, so hopefully that one is fixed too.

These two (2) rifles are favourites of mine, and you would have to prise them from my dead fingers

Shown below, with my extra-short stroke Wonky Donky tuned HW95 SuperMatch.

The HW99S is the one in the 'cammo' stock

Have fun & a good Sunday

Best regards

Russ

It is a shame how in modern times the workmanship seems to have plummeted. I recently had issues with a brand new 77. I loosened off the rear sight to slide off from the back of the cylinder only to find that the rear part of the cylinder had been misaligned at the factory. Subsequently the rear sight must have been belted on and in the process damaged the dovetail to the point where it was impossible to remove it. CH Weston in Brighton took the gun back and ordered in a replacement which was fine.