Thread: HW30s hassles

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day

HW30s hassles

So I got my HW30s from Germany yesterday afternoon (top service considering it was ordered sunday), and after firing 3 or 4 shots stripped the whole thing down.

As a matter of interest, particularly with regards to a conversation recently about whether you should 'shoot in' a new HW with a tin of pellets before stripping:
    *No synthetic bearing block on the cocking lever.
    *Galling evident at the front of the cylinder and front of the cocking slot.
    *Internals slathered in nasty grease, including plenty in font of the piston (strong smell of dieseling upon firing)
    *Burnt grease on the front of the piston.
    *Cocking slot and all other cylinder holes for that matter were as rough as a badgers arse.
    *Spring ends were flattened properly but sharp edges still had to be removed.
    *Cocking linkage pins now appear to be peened.

The whole thing was stripped, deburred. I made a top hat (a massive hassle without a lathe). Filed gouge marks out of the cylinder. Cut away material from the cocking linkage, made a plastic bearing. Added a slight countersink to the screwhole in the rear cylinder block.
    Reassembled.

Then I added a williams peep sight and tried to zero at 6 yards. The rear sight had to go quite far over to the left. Couldn't quite figure out why, until I noticed that the dovetail for the foresight was off center...

Now I went into this with my eyes open, knowing all the issue that HW's and HW30s' in particular have. But I wasn't really prepared for this. A bit gutting seeing that I specifically bought it to use with open sights.

Now, is there any way to turn the barrel in the breech block? Do I have to undo that weird nut where the breech seal sits?

Or have I just completely wasted the best part of £200?
    Last edited by eyebull; 20-01-2018 at 12:27 PM.
    Good deals with these members