Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Crosman 150c

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    Interesting.
    Although why did they bother with two different types of grip frame?

Sounds like the Webley oddities we get excited about.
    Which were often caused by management saying 'use up these old bits first'
    Or letting the work experience boy /trainee make a few.
    What and why Dunnsville did is mostly a mystery. Most of what we do know about Dunnsville comes from the guns produced there. They produced the 150 for a long time and there are at least 2 and maybe 3 significant Dunnsville variations. Compared to the Fairport model, they're a bit weird or maybe a better word would be 'distinctive.' One of these distinctive only-from-Dunnsville features is a grip frame with non-textured paint.

Why did Dunnsville production include a smooth non-textured grip frame? Venturing a guess. It is entirely possible that they received lots of grip frames from Fairport which were not painted. Dunnsville proceeded to just use regular paint instead of the fancy textured paint. Economy? Availability?

A bit late to the party, but FWIW:

The name of the place where Crosman Canada was located in the early days is Dunnville - not "Dunnsville".

My own experience with the Crosman 150C pistols seems to be exactly opposite that of DT Fletcher.
    Of all the 150C pistols that I have worked on over the years, the majority of which had come from the US, I have yet to encounter a 150C with the textured grip frame.
    My own 150C was purchased in the US, and it has the smooth grip frame.

To my knowledge only the early 150s all had the textured grip frame, Then there was a transitional period with the introduction of the one-piece barrel/breech , where the guns could be found with either the textured frame, or the smooth frame. When the stock of textured frames were used up, the late guns were fitted with the smooth frames from that point onward.

I also recall reading somewhere, but cannot remember where at the moment, that all 150C guns were made exclusively at the Fairport factory, which seems supported by the fact that all the 150C guns bear the Fairport markings.

Quote Originally Posted by Leonardj View Post
    A bit late to the party, but FWIW:

The name of the place where Crosman Canada was located in the early days is Dunnville - not "Dunnsville".

My own experience with the Crosman 150C pistols seems to be exactly opposite that of DT Fletcher.
    Of all the 150C pistols that I have worked on over the years, the majority of which had come from the US, I have yet to encounter a 150C with the textured grip frame.
    My own 150C was purchased in the US, and it has the smooth grip frame.

To my knowledge only the early 150s all had the textured grip frame, Then there was a transitional period with the introduction of the one-piece barrel/breech , where the guns could be found with either the textured frame, or the smooth frame. When the stock of textured frames were used up, the late guns were fitted with the smooth frames from that point onward.

I also recall reading somewhere, but cannot remember where at the moment, that all 150C guns were made exclusively at the Fairport factory, which seems supported by the fact that all the 150C guns bear the Fairport markings.
    You are correct. It's Dunnville. Was simply too lazy to double check.

You are also correct on the 150C grip frame, finally dug out one of my 150C in the collection and it is indeed smooth and shiny just like the Canadian 150 models.

The 150 collection, which is fairly complete in having all known variations, has been in storage for years and was just recently pulled out. This was my first look at these guns in about a decade.

Increasingly faulty memory combined with laziness is not a great combination. And thanks for not letting me wander too far down fantasy lane. :-)