Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help highlighting a cased Webley pistol with a British coin with date of manufacture

Help highlighting a cased Webley pistol with a British coin with date of manufacture

Cased my 1930-35 Webley Senior Pistol and have a place to put an emblem or something right below the gun. Thought it would be cool to put a British coin with the date of manufacture. Not knowing British coins what is a nice size coin of that period that looks nice and won’t cost be a allot?

Also does anyone make good reproductions of Webley case lid labels?
    Last edited by 45flint; 29-01-2018 at 11:57 AM.

Use a shilling, and bobs your uncle (sorry!)

More helpfully a florin (two shillings or two bob) or half a crown (two shillings and sixpence) might be better as shillings were quite small coins

An old penny was quite a large coin and would have a certain charm

None should be at all expensive, they were mass produced

( British slang explanation: a shilling was called a bob and Bobs your uncle is British slang for there you go. Also a two bob bit is Cockney rhyming slang for, well, a Brad Pitt)

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Cornelius View Post
    Use a shilling, and bobs your uncle (sorry!)

More helpfully a florin (two shillings or two bob) or half a crown (two shillings and sixpence) might be better as shillings were quite small coins

An old penny was quite a large coin and would have a certain charm

None should be at all expensive, they were mass produced

( British slang explanation: a shilling was called a bob and Bobs your uncle is British slang for there you go. Also a two bob bit is Cockney rhyming slang for, well, a Brad Pitt)
    Yes don’t want a small coin. 1930 English penny looks to be a inch wide, seems right?

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    Yes don’t want a small coin. 1930 English penny looks to be a inch wide, seems right?
    A silver coin of the correct year would look nicer a florin or half crown! Are you going to use a wood bit to inlet it?
    If you are might I suggest removing the grip then using a hand drill as cordless might be too fierce!
    I assume that you know that the original emblem was a brass winged pellet.

Try searching the web for Webley label, failing that Pro-Tek supplies in Sussex

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny Dipple View Post
    A silver coin of the correct year would look nicer a florin or half crown! Are you going to use a wood bit to inlet it?
    If you are might I suggest removing the grip then using a hand drill as cordless might be too fierce!
    I assume that you know that the original emblem was a brass winged pellet.
    Its going in the case right below the gun, see the space on the felt below the trigger.

A touch over I would say. If you found one with little wear and displayed the Britannia side I think that would look very nice.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    I like the idea...but what year would you use? as the date of manufacture is 5 years wide and my inner OCD gremlin would want the correct year

PS an old penny measures 31mm or just under an inch and a quarter - Britannia side out of course

Hi Steve,

The Senior really looks at home in the nicely figured wooden case and a sliver coin would compliment it perfectly.

Although paper packaging would be strictly correct, you might also want to keep a look out for a green pre-war pellet tin which essentially only differs from the one you already have with the word "Rifles" reading "Rifle" as the Mk2 Service was the only pre-war rifle Webley offered at the time.

Regards
    Brian

Very nicely presented.

Maybe a U.S. coin would be more appropriate due to the Stoeger connection or perhaps one of each from the same year - U.S. & G.B.?

On the other hand, rather than a coin, what about a recess for a spare piston ring and leather breech washer or two? The key could also conveniently fit within.

Or...Just leave as is.

Kind regards,

John

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    I like the idea...but what year would you use? as the date of manufacture is 5 years wide and my inner OCD gremlin would want the correct year

PS an old penny measures 31mm or just under an inch and a quarter - Britannia side out of course
    The serial number is about in the middle of the 7000 made so 1932-3? Nothing in life is perfect, the green pellet tin is about 25 years older.

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Very nicely presented.

Maybe a U.S. coin would be more appropriate due to the Stoeger connection or perhaps one of each from the same year - U.S. & G.B.?

On the other hand, rather than a coin, what about a recess for a spare piston ring and leather breech washer or two? The key could also conveniently fit within.

Or...Just leave as is.

Kind regards,

John
    Love the idea of the two coins? Wonder which ones would be comparable in size? What’s the large British silver coin with a nice date side?
    Last edited by 45flint; 29-01-2018 at 03:44 PM.

The serial number is about in the middle of the 7000 made so 1932-3? Nothing in life is perfect, the green pellet tin is about 25 years older.
    A 1933 penny would make it very special (there were only about 10 struck!)

If you are going for two coins they will need to be smaller in which case your choices are the shilling and the thruppeny bit (three old pence). I’d suggest a shilling, as a very ancient unit of British currency. A shilling was a bit under an inch.

Apart from inletting a coin or coins in the case, you do need to find another label, as the one you have at present is from a later period. I don't know of a source for the genuine black on gold label, but I have produced a replica which is yellow in colour. If you go to my 'Replicas' sig site, you will see an example on the last page.

Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    Apart from inletting a coin or coins in the case, you do need to find another label, as the one you have at present is from a later period. I don't know of a source for the genuine black on gold label, but I have produced a replica which is yellow in colour. If you go to my 'Replicas' sig site, you will see an example on the last page.
    Sent you an email.