Thread: Roughly how old is my new to me HW35e project?

Roughly how old is my new to me HW35e project?

Morning chaps, I have finally found my first HW35 and it turned up locally! I have been keeping an eye out for a project rifle at a realistic price vs condition and this one fits the bill. I will be emailing Weihrauch to find out how old it is but for now I hope you guys can give me a good idea based on the following info....

Serial #173973
    2 arrestor holes in back block
    Single recess/groove where jaws fit into the cylinder
    22" barrel in .22"
    Walnut stock with white spacer/black grip cap and white/black spacer between stock an reddish brown but pad. It looks like hand cut chequering on the pistol grip and in front of the trigger guard.

It needs a hell of a lot of work and will never be pristine but I am really looking forward to grafting on this one in the hope of man I my it a f I be looking user
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

A quick search of the database says 1965

Crickey, older than I thought!

I forgot to mention that it has no safety catch which I guess is not surprising if it is a 1960s model.

Would the threads be metric in that vintage? The reason I ask is that the rear trigger guard screw is not original and I want to check if it is the correct thread?

Cheers Rich.

Where is the serial number ?, if its of sixties vintage it would have matching no's under breach block & cylinder & the stock would have extra chequering underneath.Seventies SN is on the cylinder & trigger block.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by landymick View Post
    Where is the serial number ?, if its of sixties vintage it would have matching no's under breach block & cylinder & the stock would have extra chequering underneath.Seventies SN is on the cylinder & trigger block.
    Hi Mick

I have one with the chequering panel on the underside just in front of the trigger guard, It also has the serial on the trigger block and on the rear of the cylinder in line with the one on thje block!, Don't think it has one on the barrel so may be a later replacement..

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    Hi Mick

I have one with the chequering panel on the underside just in front of the trigger guard, It also has the serial on the trigger block and on the rear of the cylinder in line with the one on thje block!, Don't think it has one on the barrel so may be a later replacement..

John
    Early seventies may be John depending on if its a no safety or single sider safety.

Quote Originally Posted by averageplinker View Post
    Crickey, older than I thought!

I forgot to mention that it has no safety catch which I guess is not surprising if it is a 1960s model.

Would the threads be metric in that vintage? The reason I ask is that the rear trigger guard screw is not original and I want to check if it is the correct thread?

Cheers Rich.
    No safety should mean pre-1970 (roughly).

Thumbs up

Early seventies may be John depending on if its a no safety or single sider safety.
    Spot on Mick, According to the Woc, 423452 was manufactured in 1972

I'll have to finish it one day!!

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Hi,
    It has matching numbers on the trigger block, cylinder and on the barrel assembly. The barrel number is actually on the underside of the breech block and is abbreviated (the first 2 digits have been dropped).

On the right hand side of the breech block it it stamped.......

WEIHRAUCH
    MELLRICHSTACT-BAY

An interesting wee beastly it is

Quote Originally Posted by averageplinker View Post
    Hi,
    It has matching numbers on the trigger block, cylinder and on the barrel assembly. The barrel number is actually on the underside of the breech block and is abbreviated (the first 2 digits have been dropped).

On the right hand side of the breech block it it stamped.......

WEIHRAUCH
    MELLRICHSTACT-BAY

An interesting wee beastly it is
    Yep,all sounds good.

The trigger blade is narrower than todays version as well if its the original unit.

Yep,all sounds good.

The trigger blade is narrower than todays version as well if its the original unit.
    Yes, the trigger blade is more narrow than current rekord units.

I must also apologise as in my excitement of purchase haze yesterday I read the serial number incorrectly. It is actually 178973 which still suggests 1965 according to the database mentioned above. I have fired off a request to the mother ship for confirmation and will update the thread with the reply in a few days.
    Rich.