Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Are springers stuck in the 80s?

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Fixit-Norm View Post
    Sorry, of course you're right I just got a bit carried away ( the promise of cheesy biccys didn't help )
    I shall desist from any more contamination of this SPRINGER thread and if I get anywhere with an alternative self contained magnetic powered Airgun I'll start a new thread - keep a look out for a MagRam thread :

Norm
    There IS a use for magnets in airguns.

If you bury a strong neodymium one in the fore-end of the ProSport, and glue a steel strip on the cocking lever, it makes the lever more secure in the 'closed' position.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    The attraction of the spring-powered airgun, compared with other types of projectile-hurling implements, is its simplicity. Gas-rams, electric cocking mechanisms, magnetic accelerators etc defile and contaminate the essence of the springer WHICH IS ITS METAL SPRING.

Stop trying to fix something that isn't broken. A bicycle with a electric motor isn't a bicycle any more, its a crap moped. A hang-glider with an engine is a shite version of a proper plane. Playing conkers with hand-grenades is something you will only do once...
    Ever looked at the mechanism on an Original 75

Sorry that was a bit cheeky

Norm

If you bury a strong neodymium one in the fore-end of the ProSport, and glue a steel strip on the cocking lever, it makes the lever more secure in the 'closed' position.
    I've also got an opposing neodymium magnet "spring" in the trigger of my heavily modded air converted King Ratcatcher instead of a normal trigger spring, and it works really well

Norm

I know,I know enough with the magnets already

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Ever looked at the mechanism on an Original 75

Sorry that was a bit cheeky

Norm
    It's just a couple of gears and a long toothed thingy, like an ickle bicycle.....

I've also got an opposing neodymium magnet "spring" in the trigger of my heavily modded air converted King Ratcatcher instead of a normal trigger spring, and it works really well

Norm
    That really IS clever idea, I like it. The Invisible Magnetic Spring. Cool.

That really IS clever idea, I like it. The Invisible Magnetic Spring. Cool.
    Sadly not my idea, I bought one off a member on here a few years back, it's quite simple but works really well and came with two shorter lower powered neodymium magnets so the release pressure can be altered.

Incidentally, I think with the incredibly complicated trigger mechanism and the giss system ( 2 rack and pinions. 2 pistons and 2 springs, one inside the other ) i think I'm right in saying the Original 75 is the spring gun with the most mechanical parts !

Norm

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35

What's wrong with the current way of holding the PS underlever up, mine always shuts properly and stays up

There could be one small problem regarding the magnet "spring" system, how would the trigger mechanism work? If you used a conventional metal sear and trigger setup wouldn't the parts get magnetised and not release when the trigger was pulled, in which case you'd have to make them out of some sort of non magnetic material, which would probably wear to quick (either plastic or alloy), or am I not thinking in the right box.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    What's wrong with the current way of holding the PS underlever up, mine always shuts properly and stays up

There could be one small problem regarding the magnet "spring" system, how would the trigger mechanism work? If you used a conventional metal sear and trigger setup wouldn't the parts get magnetised and not release when the trigger was pulled, in which case you'd have to make them out of some sort of non magnetic material, which would probably wear to quick (either plastic or alloy), or am I not thinking in the right box.

Pete
    I don't think you're in the wrong box, probably somewhere in the bottom right hand corner of this box

I'm thinking the idea that someone had where you utilise the pull of two magnets together to force the air out of the cylinder rather than the push of two like poles would be better. This would mean that the piston would have the magnet at the front end and hopefully far enough away from the sear and trigger mechanism to minimise any magnetising effect. Of course the only way to know will be to try it.

I've got a basic test rig in mind and if I can find the right magnets at the right price I may well try this all out ! It's got to be worth a go anyway, even if it proves it wouldn't work.

It's good to come up with possible problems in advance though

Norm

Pete
    It just doesn't have the resistance of say, an old school HW77 detent. I would like more resistance!

I came across a 25-round 50 yard still-air group I shot with that ProSport of yours, by golly it was accurate. I will spec it up when I get hold of some vernier calipers.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    It just doesn't have the resistance of say, an old school HW77 detent. I would like more resistance!

I came across a 25-round 50 yard still-air group I shot with that ProSport of yours, by golly it was accurate. I will spec it up when I get hold of some vernier calipers.
    And you got rid of it

If I remember correctly didn't the early 77 have a sliding type catch underneath?

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

And you got rid of it

If I remember correctly didn't the early 77 have a sliding type catch underneath?

Pete
    I know, I was a fool. Pity the fool!

The Mk 1 had a ball-bearing on a spring. Classy, huh? The Mk II and Mk III (I think that is as far as the 77 got before the 97 arrived) have a sliding catch.

To be fair, only the MK2 has the awkward sliding thumb catch. After that, it's a push button on the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    To be fair, only the MK2 has the awkward sliding thumb catch. After that, it's a push button on the end.
    God, I'm going to have a look at the old iron...

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    There could be one small problem regarding the magnet "spring" system, how would the trigger mechanism work? If you used a conventional metal sear and trigger setup wouldn't the parts get magnetised and not release when the trigger was pulled, in which case you'd have to make them out of some sort of non magnetic material.......

Pete
    Early experiments merely resulted in a decorative FridgeGun!
    God rest ye jelly mental men