Thread: Are springers stuck in the 80s?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Fixit-Norm View Post
    I did wonder about this but I've found neodymium magnets 20mm dia and 20mm long which have a 15kg 'pull' if you had two of these with the same poles facing each other in a suitable size tube wouldn't that equate to a 30kg 'push' ?
    Not sure if that would work but I have a couple of tiny ones here ( 4mm dia x 8mm long ), no idea of the 'pull' but it hurts if you get your fingers between them when they attract and if I try to push the same poles together it's virtually impossibly without them pinging across the room

I might have to rig up some sort of test rig first before I spend too much time cannibalising that old rifle.

Besides the lure of BBS cheese biscuits beckons.

Norm
    If you tried to push the two magnets together, Norm, you would probably fail. Try placing them 85% of a springer compression stroke apart (approximate start pressure for 7.87 gn pellets) and see how much force it takes to push them towards each other - not a lot, and way less than the retarding force that 150psi would place on the piston. The pellet would stay nice and safe in the breech.

Forget the BBS cheese biscuits, BTW. That was a cruel deception by Rickenbacker, who knows full well that cheese biscuits only ever leave the Mod's lounge safely inside the stomachs of mods and admins.
    Last edited by BTDT; 23-01-2018 at 01:12 PM.