Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
Not entirely sure what you're expecting really... It seems to me the whole 'springer spring' is all about the rejection of clinical PCP's for the simplicity and independence of the spring powerplant.
If you start fannying about adding complication or making them dead to shoot you're back at square 1 and in the PCP marketplace again...
TBH I'm not married to this whole 'live' gun thing, I don't mind if it is dead to shoot at all, especially if this results in increased accuracy.
What attracts me to the spring powerplant is its self-contained nature, ease of servicing and relative value for money compared to PCPs.
Personally I don't see why the sled system isn't used more, it doesn't have to be complicated or necessarily add that much weight.

If we're looking for off the wall rifle ideas, how about a scaled-up HW45 type system,; barrel over cylinder, scope/sights attached to barrel housing so no misalignment issues, ratchet can take care of the safety, direct barrel feeding, phosphor bronze piston seal so it will run forever, rifle can be very short, put a sled in to eliminate any piston bounce or surge issues caused by lost volume.
Or...a modification of Tony L's idea - front hinged sidelever, barrel pops up at rear to load.