Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Are springers stuck in the 80s?

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelking View Post
    460 is rated at 26j same as 52 and is only 300g lighter than the 52 and HW80 (both 4.0kg)

350 series are probably what you are thinking of; 30/32j in regular or NTEC @ 3.8kg.

https://www.diana-airguns.de/fileadm...talog-2017.pdf
    (page 35)

http://www.weihrauch-sport.de/air-ri...w-80-k?lang=en
    Yes Diana rate 460/52 equal but the 460 only has a 14in cocking lever so it would be unwise to fit a factory spring as strong as a 350 but the 460 has the same 115 mm stroke as the 350 but with a short TP and a rotating piston

What I was trying to get at was the 460 is different because it is a fixed barrel underlever that is both a magnum and light in weight and there is not another underlever to compare it with. Is there?

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    There's a limit as to how far you can innovate a piston driven by a spring, & anything made has got to be commercially viable to return the development cost.
    ^^^^^

This.

A.G

Wish they were, I'd have a Venom HW80!

Personally I think it's the available stock designs for springers which needs addressing.
    How about an existing action in a more target oriented stock. Something with a more upright grip, deeper forend and adjustable cheek/butt.

I'm 50/50 on custom stocks. Some I think are tasteful and functional, some full on target stocks I think are hideous. But there is clearly a market for it

Opposite the cow-field, just outside Dover, Kent
    Back the OP...

where is the quality carbine Underlever magazine fed springer, an improved version of the original BSA Goldstar ?

Many of us shoot PCPs in preference because of the fumbly finger pellet problem when hunting !
    Good deals with Mark3HuntsmanSam, Cannon Fodder, Guy, Jon, Peddy, Negotiator, Devon Shooter, Ninapuppy, Custard 1, Bob Brown, TopDog, Dave The Frame, / Sam99, Ballie, Nautilus21, edbear2, eredel, among others

flyingfish is offline I may only have 5 but I have the best 5
    Quote Originally Posted by cooper_dan View Post
    Personally I think it's the available stock designs for springers which needs addressing.
    How about an existing action in a more target oriented stock. Something with a more upright grip, deeper forend and adjustable cheek/butt.

I'm 50/50 on custom stocks. Some I think are tasteful and functional, some full on target stocks I think are hideous. But there is clearly a market for it
    Like the HW98?
    Pete

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Beagle View Post
    Back the OP...

where is the quality carbine Underlever magazine fed springer, an improved version of the original BSA Goldstar ?

Many of us shoot PCPs in preference because of the fumbly finger pellet problem when hunting !
    BSA are well placed to do this, considering that they made the Goldstar and are also owned by Gamo, who recently released that mag-fed break barrel.
    Given the shabby build of their springers I would not hold out hope for it being 'quality' though
    Good deals with these members

Look at the build quality of the theoben gas-rams i know the triggers was crap but everything else was above and beyond and their multi shot slr wish they had done the same with Springers also wish daystate,fx ect would have a go at making a Springer

Also a big problem for me that i hate about Springers is the scope mounting rails theoben had the best mounts solid as a rock don't know why other brands don't follow

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Nope, as this wouldn't have the sliding compression tube, Alistair.

The barrel would be hinged, secured by a precision fit manual barrel latch, but only open a few degrees to allow loading.
    All the disadvantages of an underlever and a break barrel rolled into one, neat!
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

80's ?

That was about the last time I realy used a springer full on, mid to late 80's infact, and Im lucky enough to have just fitted one of Tony Leach's 22mm kits to my recent purchase, a mk3 tx which is my way back into springers after years of pcp shooting, and I cant praise it enough, infact its transformed my tx its freaking awesome, I thought the tx was kickass as it was but oh no..

Chris
    bigtoe, Harry, hydroclamp, jpsnorton, gayle89, mark410, Stu83, smallholder1, wellhouse0, readingcop, sir-slots-alot, danco1987, Stevenb, DarylDiane, simpleSimon, Ratinator, Milek, Josh, Maxtich, Woodsie99, Ozzie, master_shriller, niloc, Drake267, deejayuu, shootingstars

Quote Originally Posted by flyingfish View Post
    Like the HW98?
    HW98 is maybe halfway there. But compare it to an Air Arms MPR or FTP900 and it's still a long way off

I think that the only possible way forward is for the manufactureres to utilize modern materials in the power train so to counteract the effects of mass and inertia leading to recoil and make the guns to reach the required power without resorting to ' sledge hammer ' ideology of engineering.

A.G

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    I know everybody says that Air Arms say "there's not a big enough market (meaning in the USA), for lower power airguns".

But I've read this:

(my bold).
    From: https://www.beemans.net/odyssey_of_the_beeman_r1.htm

I believe the R7=HW30 and R8=HW99 (roughly).

So who says an Air Arms middleweight break barrel wouldn't sell all over the world (in other words - in North America)??

I am not so sure. I certainly see that sentiment on US blogs and forums, but they represent the hard core enthusiasts. I also see Gamo, Hatsan, etc pushing cheap magnum springers and seemingly doing well.

Quote Originally Posted by eyebull View Post
    If we're looking for off the wall rifle ideas, how about a scaled-up HW45 type system,; barrel over cylinder, scope/sights attached to barrel housing so no misalignment issues, ratchet can take care of the safety, direct barrel feeding, phosphor bronze piston seal so it will run forever, rifle can be very short, put a sled in to eliminate any piston bounce or surge issues caused by lost volume.
    Sounds like a Webley MkII Service.

Quote Originally Posted by maximus View Post
    All the disadvantages of an underlever and a break barrel rolled into one, neat!
    Haha!

Yep, just a bit of meandering mind coming into play there and not a serious desire.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!