Thread: HW barrels old vs new what do you prefer?

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User

HW barrels old vs new what do you prefer?

OK I am an old skool oldie and prefer the old HW barrels but is there anyone who prefers the new type and can say why?
    Just Wondering

If it works it works.

If things stayed the same 100% then people will say the makers are not updating things and sticking to old practices. look at
    the thread currently running .
    http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....uck-in-the-80s

Possibly the new style is cheaper to produce ?

Things change and maybe its not what other people want to see but the makers want to cut costs or simplify things a little

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Don't like the new one crap can get stuck in the daisy.

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    If it works it works.

If things stayed the same 100% then people will say the makers are not updating things and sticking to old practices. look at
    the thread currently running .
    http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....uck-in-the-80s

Possibly the new style is cheaper to produce ?

Things change and maybe its not what other people want to see but the makers want to cut costs or simplify things a little
    If it's as good or better than the old version, great. But is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    If it's as good or better than the old version, great. But is it?
    who knows . there was a reason for them to change it or they would not have done so .

Can the star bit come off and the barrel pressed out? could it be for changing barrels in the way that they may have loads of barrels with breech blocks fitted then they could change them when a customer wants say a .20 and they wont have say 1000 .177, 1000 .20 , 1000.22 and 1000.25 barrels in breech blocks sitting?

iF an order came in for 250 .25 rifles they can press .25 barrels into a breech block and tighten the star Nut .

Basically they make up the barrel and breech block to suit an order rather have them sitting and maybe not moving for months.

Has any one asked why they changed it ?

One of the people in this thread says its a nut https://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA...topic=122796.0
    Last edited by bighit; 21-01-2018 at 11:31 PM.

who knows . there was a reason for them to change it or they would not have done so .

Can the star bit come off and the barrel pressed out? could it be for changing barrels in the way that they may have loads of barrels with breech blocks fitted then they could change them when a customer wants say a .20 and they wont have say 1000 .177, 1000 .20 , 1000.22 and 1000.25 barrels in breech blocks sitting?

iF an order came in for 250 .25 rifles they can press .25 barrels into a breech block and tighten the star Nut .

Basically they make up the barrel and breech block to suit an order rather have them sitting and maybe not moving for months.

I’d go with that. Barrel mated to breech block, 5 minutes on their new etching machine, and the calibre is printed on the side..done & dusted

Btw, I think it’s fugly..but hw surely must have changed it for their benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by p.sharp View Post
    I’d go with that. Barrel mated to breech block, 5 minutes on their new etching machine, and the calibre is printed on the side..done & dusted

Btw, I think it’s fugly..but hw surely must have changed it for their benefit.
    only way I can see . No point having stock sitting and taking up space and costing money to store them if they can make say 1000 breech blocks then barrels to fulfil the order . if you have say a 1000 breech blocks and barrels of each calibre sitting waiting to be used its a lot wasted space. plus it will be stock that could be counted in a audit and cost them money ( I think that's how it works in the uk but maybe not in germany ).

"High Costs
    Carrying excess inventory has significant costs. One of the highest costs for many companies is financing the purchase and holding of inventory. Also, the more inventory you hold, the more you have to spend on labor to manage it, space to hold it, and in some cases, insurance to protect against its loss or damage. Physically counting and monitoring the levels of inventory you hold also takes time and has costs."

As long as it is an accurate barrel i don't mind.

If possible I would prefer an older barrel on an older rifle but as most HWs are plentiful I couldn't see myself getting too picky.
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

I prefer the new barrels, as far as im aware they have a choke thats suited to the softer jsb/aa diabolo
    I have a few 80’s 77’s all accurate but non compare to my nickel 97 out at 40-55yards

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by Craigjohnmaz View Post
    I prefer the new barrels, as far as im aware they have a choke thats suited to the softer jsb/aa diabolo
    I have a few 80’s 77’s all accurate but non compare to my nickel 97 out at 40-55yards
    That's interesting so the new type might have a different choke

Has any one asked why they changed it ?

One of the people in this thread says its a nut https://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA...topic=122796.0
    It is a nut & can be removed when you make the tool, then a decent press to remove.

It might be to save on the extra time drilling the block for the pin.

I guess it could be the machinery and jigs that made it the old way wore over time and it became more economic to replace the machinery with new rather than replace. If that were the case the opportunity arises to change the method too.
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)