Thread: FFP Scopes

FFP Scopes

Hi all, i'm considering the step to a FFP Scope. I currently have a Sidewinder, Airmax and MTC Mamba on mine. Is the difference worth the extra £££ ?

The only reason in my opinion for the FFP scope, and I have used them, is you can change the mag and the aim points stay the same, but if you tend not to change the mag, then probably not worth paying extra for something that you don't use. Rog

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    You have to question whether you really need variable mag TBH. Ideally you shouldn't use your sight as a spotting scope, and once that is taken into account there is little reason for it. Tending to buy fixed magnification scopes now for that reason.
    Good deals with these members

Quote Originally Posted by Hoddervalley View Post
    Hi all, i'm considering the step to a FFP Scope. I currently have a Sidewinder, Airmax and MTC Mamba on mine. Is the difference worth the extra £££ ?
    I have one but TBH unless you keep on changing mags all the time then FFP does not really offer any advantage. You must also realize that at low mags, under 7X, the reticule aimpoints remain very small and bunched up together but FFP comes into its own at high mags, 12x +. There is also the point of these scopes being at the top of the range, the quality of glass maybe suerior to a run of the mill one although a lot of these new Chinese ones do not seem to have the superior glass.

A.G

Thanks folks, I didn't think they would be worth a couple of hundred quid more than a good SFP, and I tend to stick to around 6-8 mag anyway. Most of my hunting is shooting up into trees at 20 to 40 yards, so I'll stick with what i've got...Cheers

I think it depends on what you are putting it on and what you are using it for.
    I have one on my .243 which is mainly used for foxing. With this zeroed at 200 yards I very rarely need to hold off as I can aim dead on out to 240 yards.
    But when the rare occasion does arise it is good to know the aim points are spot on even if the mag is not exactly where you think it is.
    If you do get one I would recommend looking through a few first.
    You don’t want one where the cross hairs get to large on high mag to be useful.
    I love mine and don’t think it will ever come off the rifle.
    I hope this helps.

As said before depends on what you want it for, I have three ffp's and think they are great. One is on my .20 which is my go anywhere rifle, shooting close range rats too 40/50 yd rabbits. So for that purpose I wouldn't go back to a second !!!