Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pair of old Benjamins

Pair of old Benjamins

[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
    Top Benjamin 422, 10 shot (pellet) semi automatic and bottom a Benjamin 35 shot (BB) Rocket 2600. I don't believe these were that successful especially the 422 its design relies on 3 O rings in the barrel to hold back all 10 pellets that's fine when the O rings are new but soon as they start to wear its very hit and miss to the number of pellets fired at a time . I believe the 422 was a unsuccessful attempt by Benjamin to rival the Crosman 600 almost laughable . The Rocket on the other hand touch wood has been extremely reliable and very hard hitting its just a great plinker .

Those are very nice. Never have really looked at Benjamin pistols. You’ve given me something else to look for. Especially like the three tubes. Wonder how rare they are?

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    Those are very nice. Never have really looked at Benjamin pistols. You’ve given me something else to look for. Especially like the three tubes. Wonder how rare they are?
    The 250 series is a nice set to collect, small and quality build. Also the 100 series which are surprisingly good performers for their size.

Baz

[IMG][/IMG]
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

[IMG][/IMG]
    Have to admit took me a while to work out how this one worked bit of a steampunk pistol with a plunger and rods . the 422 may be uncommon due to it being a warranty nightmare I'm not sure about the Rocket but recon there are not to many in England .
    Last edited by steveb1961; 22-01-2018 at 03:05 PM.

I also have a Benjamin 422 which must have been serviced just before I acquired it as it still reliably cycles single pellets provided a compatible pellet such as older 'Marksman' are used. Although the Crosman 600 is obviously a much better engineered pistol, I like the looks and quirky functionality of the 422. I believe a similar method of operation is employed on the Drulov DU10 (Condor) but using metal collets instead of rubber O rings would make the whole thing much more reliable.

The Benjamin 'Rocket' series are also nice pistols, but I prefer the Crosman 150 for its more sophisticated sights and use of the usual 12 grm capsules rather than the 8 grm ones needed for the Benjamin. For some reason, Iv'e found gas pistols to be more accurate than springers in .22 with the reverse being the case when .177 is used.

Iv'e also found the Crosman 150 in particular is often capable of holding its own when competing with some purpose built ,177 target pistols at 10 metres plus the satisfying crack always significantly adds to the enjoyment.

Regards
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    I also have a Benjamin 422 which must have been serviced just before I acquired it as it still reliably cycles single pellets provided a compatible pellet such as older 'Marksman' are used. Although the Crosman 600 is obviously a much better engineered pistol, I like the looks and quirky functionality of the 422. I believe a similar method of operation is employed on the Drulov DU10 (Condor) but using metal collets instead of rubber O rings would make the whole thing much more reliable.

The Benjamin 'Rocket' series are also nice pistols, but I prefer the Crosman 150 for its more sophisticated sights and use of the usual 12 grm capsules rather than the 8 grm ones needed for the Benjamin. For some reason, Iv'e found gas pistols to be more accurate than springers in .22 with the reverse being the case when .177 is used.

Iv'e also found the Crosman 150 in particular is often capable of holding its own when competing with some purpose built ,177 target pistols at 10 metres plus the satisfying crack always significantly adds to the enjoyment.

Regards
    Brian
    I believe the 150 was the first pistol to use the 12g co2 , Ive got some old Marksman pellets never tried them in the 422 mite have to give them a go .

The Rocket is a great pistol to shoot but not easy to re-seal like other Benjamins. The O ring is seated deep inside (see length of circlip pliers) and the seat needs to be thoroughly cleaned out before fitting a new seal.

Baz

[IMG][/IMG]

422 safety glasses needed

With it's open breech design, it's really important to be wearing safety glasses (which I am sure you all do anyways) The 422 spits back into the face of the shooter.

The Benjamin CO2 pistols are great but it's important to keep them lubed all over, since they have a tendency to rust.

The magazine type pistols (3 tube) are extremely rare.

The 422 design highlights the difference between Crosman and Benjamin, when it comes to engineering design. Crosman, from 1945, had a professional design engineer on staff (the famed Rudy Merz being the first) to develop new designs. Benjamin, in it's entire history, never had an engineer on staff. At Benjamin, the company executives designed models. All of the Benjamin models that came out in the '60s, like the 422, were design by Ray Katts, president/owner of Benjamin.

Quote Originally Posted by steveb1961 View Post
    I believe the 150 was the first pistol to use the 12g co2 , Ive got some old Marksman pellets never tried them in the 422 mite have to give them a go .
    Hi,

Out of interest, the Schimel is credited with being the first pistol to use gas capsules (8grm) as the power source.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by DT Fletcher View Post
    With it's open breech design, it's really important to be wearing safety glasses (which I am sure you all do anyways) The 422 spits back into the face of the shooter.

The Benjamin CO2 pistols are great but it's important to keep them lubed all over, since they have a tendency to rust.

The magazine type pistols (3 tube) are extremely rare.

The 422 design highlights the difference between Crosman and Benjamin, when it comes to engineering design. Crosman, from 1945, had a professional design engineer on staff (the famed Rudy Merz being the first) to develop new designs. Benjamin, in it's entire history, never had an engineer on staff. At Benjamin, the company executives designed models. All of the Benjamin models that came out in the '60s, like the 422, were design by Ray Katts, president/owner of Benjamin.
    Typical what I like the 3 tube is extremely rare! Saw in the blue book they also made this in 22?

Typical what I like the 3 tube is extremely rare! Saw in the blue book they also made this in 22?
    Yep. 22 caliber lead ball ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by DT Fletcher View Post
    Yep. 22 caliber lead ball ammo.
    Was speaking to a guy on here last night who has the .22 model. When he originally obtained it through a swap he didn't realise how extremely rare they are. Only found out later,

Baz

The Benjamin semi-auto 422

handles Benjamin .22 lead pellets well.Looks good but not in the same class as a Xman 600.

[QUOTE=Benelli B76;7419112]The 250 series is a nice set to collect, small and quality build. Also the 100 series which are surprisingly good performers for their size.

Baz

Hi Baz,

I too am a big fan of the Benjamin 250 which not only accepts BBs but also allows the use of .177 pellets.

I have this nice, boxed pistol which shoots as good as it looks.

Regards
    Brian

Brian, that is a very nice one. Mine is the 257, also boxed but had the finish polished off. Bought it at Bisley a few years ago, forgot what I paid for it. Don't know their value as you do not see them advertised.

Baz