Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pair of old Benjamins

I have a 252 and a 250.
    Brass and silver respectively -the black long gone.
    These are pocket rockets unlike small European and British spring air pistols.

I get confused as to what to shoot through them but have just sorted that out again.

Baz wanted to buy a valve tool from the USA for 10 dollars to fix one of them.
    The supplier refused to post it to him as in UK!

Got it via an American pal

I remember Brian’s on Keith’s stall at Bisley?

250-252-257 models

The model 250 was Benjamin initial entrance into CO2 airgun market. First mention of the model 250 in Benjamin's annual (envelope stuffer) catalog was in 1951; there is an overprint version of this catalog reading "Benjamin CO2 pistol $15."

The 1952 flyer has on the front page "New Model No. 250 Benjamin Super CO2 Gas Pistol" $15

1953: 250 $13.50, 252/257 $15.00

Don't have a 1954 catalog but it is likely the same as 1953. See note*

1955: New model "No. 262 Benjamin Super CO2 Rocket Gas Pistol" $15.00; 250, 252, 257 "Standard CO2 Gas Pistols at Reduced Prices" 250 $10, 252/257 $12.50. *There is a letter from Benjamin dated January 1, 1955, introducing the models 262 and 352.

As can be seen, the 250 series had a short production history of only 4-5 years. In 1951-1952 only the model 250 is offered. The 252 and 257 models are only in the Benjamin catalog from 1953-1955, with 1955 seeing all three models out of production and being sold at clearance.

My personal experience collecting these models is that the model 250 is by far the most common model found with the rifled 252/257 models being pretty rare in comparison. Back in the '80s, finding a nice 250 in the box (always a 250!) was pretty common at the gun shows. Price was usually in the $20 range.

It's interesting to compare the introduction of the model 250 in 1951 which was a smooth bore .177 intended to shoot darts, pellets, BBs, but, in 1955 everything is reversed, it's the .22 rifled 262 Super Rocket model that is the sole model introduced; The model 267 is introduced in 1956; The model 260 smooth bore .177 has to wait until 1957 to be introduced. For the most part, Crosman practiced this .22 first, .177 second pattern of model introductions.

It looks like the introduction of the model 262 had something to do with Crosman's introduction of their ground breaking model 150 that same year (Note: Crosman always brought out new year models at least 6 months earlier in order to cash in on Christmas shopping, so, the 1950 model 150 was available in late 1954) Benjamin really couldn't move, and never really did, to the larger 12gm "powerlet" since these were only available through Crosman, so, they were literally stuck with the 8gm 'standard' bulb. On the technical side: the 262 has two-stage variable power, the introductory model 150 had continuously variable power via turning the cocking knob. But, the biggest thing, to my eye, is that the 262 Super Rocket is the same size as the Crosman.

My experience has been that the 26X models are actually harder to find than the 25X models. This may be due to Crosman's market domination during this timeframe but there's also the factor that the 26X is, in my experience, more prone to rusting; and so more likely to be disposed of at some point. A nice, clean 26X is a rare bird.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by DT Fletcher View Post
    The model 250 was Benjamin initial entrance into CO2 airgun market. First mention of the model 250 in Benjamin's annual (envelope stuffer) catalog was in 1951; there is an overprint version of this catalog reading "Benjamin CO2 pistol $15."

The 1952 flyer has on the front page "New Model No. 250 Benjamin Super CO2 Gas Pistol" $15

1953: 250 $13.50, 252/257 $15.00

Don't have a 1954 catalog but it is likely the same as 1953. See note*

1955: New model "No. 262 Benjamin Super CO2 Rocket Gas Pistol" $15.00; 250, 252, 257 "Standard CO2 Gas Pistols at Reduced Prices" 250 $10, 252/257 $12.50. *There is a letter from Benjamin dated January 1, 1955, introducing the models 262 and 352.

As can be seen, the 250 series had a short production history of only 4-5 years. In 1951-1952 only the model 250 is offered. The 252 and 257 models are only in the Benjamin catalog from 1953-1955, with 1955 seeing all three models out of production and being sold at clearance.

My personal experience collecting these models is that the model 250 is by far the most common model found with the rifled 252/257 models being pretty rare in comparison. Back in the '80s, finding a nice 250 in the box (always a 250!) was pretty common at the gun shows. Price was usually in the $20 range.

It's interesting to compare the introduction of the model 250 in 1951 which was a smooth bore .177 intended to shoot darts, pellets, BBs, but, in 1955 everything is reversed, it's the .22 rifled 262 Super Rocket model that is the sole model introduced; The model 267 is introduced in 1956; The model 260 smooth bore .177 has to wait until 1957 to be introduced. For the most part, Crosman practiced this .22 first, .177 second pattern of model introductions.

It looks like the introduction of the model 262 had something to do with Crosman's introduction of their ground breaking model 150 that same year (Note: Crosman always brought out new year models at least 6 months earlier in order to cash in on Christmas shopping, so, the 1950 model 150 was available in late 1954) Benjamin really couldn't move, and never really did, to the larger 12gm "powerlet" since these were only available through Crosman, so, they were literally stuck with the 8gm 'standard' bulb. On the technical side: the 262 has two-stage variable power, the introductory model 150 had continuously variable power via turning the cocking knob. But, the biggest thing, to my eye, is that the 262 Super Rocket is the same size as the Crosman.

My experience has been that the 26X models are actually harder to find than the 25X models. This may be due to Crosman's market domination during this timeframe but there's also the factor that the 26X is, in my experience, more prone to rusting; and so more likely to be disposed of at some point. A nice, clean 26X is a rare bird.
    Hi Dean,

Thanks for sharing the very interesting production record information relating to these pistols. I would have to say that I have probably seen examples of the Crosman 150 / Benjamin 26X series far more often than the 25X pistols here in the UK, especially the Crosman 150. I also have a Benjamin 252 which I find surprisingly accurate for such a small pistol, especially as it is in .22 calibre. The Benjamin 25X series also seem to be quite powerful and return a very efficient shots fired to gas used ratio using the smaller 8grm capsules.

Considering both the Crosman and Benjamin gas pistols were aimed at the lower end of the market, I also continue to be impressed with the consistent performance achievable from all of the pistols within both company's product ranges.

As I have said on many previous occasions, for accuracy and general handling, Iv'e found the Crosman 150 to be the informal target shooting pistol of choice among these classic Co2 powered pistols.

Regards
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    Hi Dean,

Thanks for sharing the very interesting production record information relating to these pistols. I would have to say that I have probably seen examples of the Crosman 150 / Benjamin 26X series far more often than the 25X pistols here in the UK, especially the Crosman 150. I also have a Benjamin 252 which I find surprisingly accurate for such a small pistol, especially as it is in .22 calibre. The Benjamin 25X series also seem to be quite powerful and return a very efficient shots fired to gas used ratio using the smaller 8grm capsules.

Considering both the Crosman and Benjamin gas pistols were aimed at the lower end of the market, I also continue to be impressed with the consistent performance achievable from all of the pistols within both company's product ranges.

As I have said on many previous occasions, for accuracy and general handling, Iv'e found the Crosman 150 to be the informal target shooting pistol of choice among these classic Co2 powered pistols.

Regards
    Brian

I agree. Have handled most all of vintage pistols and the 150 just works best. The only real competitor for shooters is the model that followed the 150; the outstanding MKI/II. The big advantage going to the MKI/II model since it is so easy to upgrade the barrel to true German target barrel quality (see MAC-1)

In the 150 line, the premier model for a shooter is the Ted Williams model. Here's a page with some nice pics of several variations. http://airgunenthusiast.weebly.com/c...for-sears.html

Quote Originally Posted by DT Fletcher View Post
    I agree. Have handled most all of vintage pistols and the 150 just works best. The only real competitor for shooters is the model that followed the 150; the outstanding MKI/II. The big advantage going to the MKI/II model since it is so easy to upgrade the barrel to true German target barrel quality (see MAC-1)

In the 150 line, the premier model for a shooter is the Ted Williams model. Here's a page with some nice pics of several variations. http://airgunenthusiast.weebly.com/c...for-sears.html
    Ventilated rib, like a Python?

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    Ventilated rib, like a Python?
    That's what Ted wanted. Ted Williams was the deluxe brand for sporting goods at Sears and he provided input into the models produced; like the ventilated rib on his version of the 150. The Ted Williams version of the model 160 had a compartment in the stock for storing extra Powerlets.

Sears was a big, important customer for Crosman. One thing that this resulted in was that the Crosman factory would retool in preparation for a Sears run. The result being that best examples of Corpsman's production skills can be seen in their Sears (and Montgomery Wards) models.

Quote Originally Posted by steveb1961 View Post
    [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
    Top Benjamin 422, 10 shot (pellet) semi automatic and bottom a Benjamin 35 shot (BB) Rocket 2600. I don't believe these were that successful especially the 422 its design relies on 3 O rings in the barrel to hold back all 10 pellets that's fine when the O rings are new but soon as they start to wear its very hit and miss to the number of pellets fired at a time . I believe the 422 was a unsuccessful attempt by Benjamin to rival the Crosman 600 almost laughable . The Rocket on the other hand touch wood has been extremely reliable and very hard hitting its just a great plinker .
    Can someone tell me are 8grm Co2 still available, if they are from where?
    Thanks Jenny

8grm co2

Hiya jenny,
    I get mine from boyes if you look for the home brew kits you will find them there.. £4 for 10 pack box. Hope this helps.
    Atb John.

Wilko home brew section or online.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny Dipple View Post
    Can someone tell me are 8grm Co2 still available, if they are from where?
    Thanks Jenny
    Hi get my co2 8g from E bay but think home brew shops ECT do them as well