Thread: Prewar Webley Pistols: Ratio of .177 to .22?

Prewar Webley Pistols: Ratio of .177 to .22?

Just curious in the prewar Webley pistols which was the more common caliber?

I've never seen anyone attempt a figure. Gordon Bruce's very comprehensive book is silent on the point.

From what I see offered for sale, neither calibre appears particularly uncommon. I'd hazard a guess that .22" was most popular in the Senior (most powerful, and people who could afford Seniors presumably had fewer worries about the greater cost of the pellets). I have a prejudice that in the UK for many years the .22" may actually have been more popular, mirroring the preference for .22" in sporting air rifles, but I have no evidence for that - pure conjecture.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    I've never seen anyone attempt a figure. Gordon Bruce's very comprehensive book is silent on the point.

From what I see offered for sale, neither calibre appears particularly uncommon. I'd hazard a guess that .22" was most popular in the Senior (most powerful, and people who could afford Seniors presumably had fewer worries about the greater cost of the pellets). I have a prejudice that in the UK for many years the .22" may actually have been more popular, mirroring the preference for .22" in sporting air rifles, but I have no evidence for that - pure conjecture.
    You are right 8 out 10 rifles sold 1940-1970 were .22 .177 becoming popular with FT and HFT shooters; Hunters have even seen fit to change to .177 because of the flatter trajectory, it only takes abt 3ft/lb to kill a rabbit.

Back when I was growing up in the late 50's and 60's we didn't care about flat trajectories, didn't know about that technical stuff so like most kids we wanted the larger .22. We took the pi** out of the occasional 177 owner with the "Girls Calibre", we knew nothing. The manufacturers like Webley knew this and in my opinion made more 22's than 177's, we hardly ever saw a kid with the smaller calibre. Now of course we all know about the flatter shooting 177 which for me, now, is much more desirable.
    Last edited by vbull; 02-02-2018 at 11:29 AM.
    Remember, it is the strongest character that God gives the most challenges.

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    Just curious in the prewar Webley pistols which was the more common caliber?
    In my collection of pre-war Webley air pistols 85% are .177 calibre leaving 15% in .22. my collection is not calibre specific so I purchased the pistols paying attention only to the model I wanted regardless of the calibre, so it probably reflects the Webley calibre manufacturing output pre-war.