Thread: Are ssp anschutz,fwb etc rifles over the top for bell target shooting?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Are ssp anschutz,fwb etc rifles over the top for bell target shooting?

I fancy a nice side lever ssp rifle for bell target and general target shooting and wondered if any of the above mentioned would be suitable or ott.I would really appreciate anyones advice.
    As always thank you for your time

Personally I like the idea of those webley/BSA undelever's from the 40's & 50's or earlier, nice & traditional. But anything that get's people together shooting & putting the world to rights is also fine with me, regardless of the technology.

John
    Law of any kind only affects those willing to abide by it.

Not at all. 80's onwards 10m match guns are very popular in bell target. You certainly wouldn't be out of place with one at most clubs

When we started bell target I used my fwb601 and Walther lgr.

It became apparent fairly quickly that it’s a bit too easy with proper target rifles, and because they are not cheap or readily available it put potential bell target recruits at a big disadvantage.

We unofficially decided on Hw30s instead. Cheap, available and a level playing field.

If you use an SSP or PCP you’ll get bored of ringing the bell after a bit of practice.

Just my opinion

Well that has given me food for thought.So maybe a very nice ssp for general target and a open sighted plinker for bell target? I try to keep my eye out for a ssp but they get snapped up very quickly on this site.
    Thank you all for your time and guidance

Quote Originally Posted by yorkiets View Post
    When we started bell target I used my fwb601 and Walther lgr.

It became apparent fairly quickly that it’s a bit too easy with proper target rifles, and because they are not cheap or readily available it put potential bell target recruits at a big disadvantage.

We unofficially decided on Hw30s instead. Cheap, available and a level playing field.

If you use an SSP or PCP you’ll get bored of ringing the bell after a bit of practice.

Just my opinion
    My HW 30S is a lovely little rifle but the small straight sporting stock demands a crouched shooting position that is awkward for me to hold for an extended period as I am just under 6 foot tall - and suffering with a bad neck does not help much either!

As I really like this little rifle I am going to find a pair of riser blocks to fit under the front and rear sights so I can shoot it in a slightly more "heads-up" position that will be more comfortable for me.

I have seen various types of rear diopter sights fitted to these rifles and the original front tunnel sight easily takes what ever size of front ring element the shooter prefers to use so it is an ideal rifle for 6 yard bell target shooting - and at a very good price too!

We shoot bell target at 10 meters at our local club and this rifle is accurate enough (and powerful enough) to ring the bell at 10 meters so it is more than good enough for use at 6 yards so this inexpensive little rifle gets my vote - and buying one may just leave enough cash in the kitty to get that SSP at some time in the future too
    Last edited by zooma; 23-01-2018 at 10:52 AM.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

As already said above, you'll get bored using a 601 or similar, no real challenge, get a nice old BSA IMP Mod D or something like that.
    Remember, it is the strongest character that God gives the most challenges.