Thread: What rat bait is best these days?

What rat bait is best these days?

Hi chaps. A mate of mine has quite a few rats coming in to his back garden of late. He has borrows one of my rifles and shot one so far.The others are a bit more sneaky and will not come out in to view. What bait have you found they take these days? I use to use peanut butter or tuna as they cannot just carry loads of it away at one time. Just looking for info for my friend to help him get the little buggers as one has gone for his tea cup yorkie the other night. As i have not hunted for 20yrs i am out of touch a little to give him advice. Any info id appreciate. Cheers. Chris

Generally speaking enhance whatever it is they're already eating, so if he has bird seed about then mix some of that seed in with peanut butter or nutella, & bait them without shooting for a few days.
    also worth putting it out same time each day.
    Another trick is give them a bit of cover so they think they're hidden & safe but where you can shoot in to/underneath like a pipe.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Generally speaking enhance whatever it is they're already eating, so if he has bird seed about then mix some of that seed in with peanut butter or nutella, & bait them without shooting for a few days.
    also worth putting it out same time each day.
    Another trick is give them a bit of cover so they think they're hidden & safe but where you can shoot in to/underneath like a pipe.
    Thanks for the advice. Will forward your advice to my friend. Regards. Chris

Ive had quite abit of success using liquidized cat food, it keeps them there licking it up.
    Daystate Regal xl .177 / Hawke niteeye 6-24x50irsf...
    Weihrauch HW97 .22 tbt kit / Hawke sidewinder 30 10×42...

2 ferrets and a net...

I think it is best to try to get them to eat what they are already eating - I have tried cat food and peanut butter, but if they have started eating droppings from the bird table or hen food in the hen run, then that is what they seem most content eating. The ideal is to try to deprive them of their "normal" food source (if you can find out what is attracting them to the area), so that they eat what you want them to eat. So if I get them in the hen run eating hen food, I will put the hen food out of reach at night and try to get them to eat hen food where I want them to eat it so I get a better shot.

cptman is offline Moody Git.........Apparently?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shedder View Post
    I think it is best to try to get them to eat what they are already eating - I have tried cat food and peanut butter, but if they have started eating droppings from the bird table or hen food in the hen run, then that is what they seem most content eating. The ideal is to try to deprive them of their "normal" food source (if you can find out what is attracting them to the area), so that they eat what you want them to eat. So if I get them in the hen run eating hen food, I will put the hen food out of reach at night and try to get them to eat hen food where I want them to eat it so I get a better shot.
    What he said.
    why is it there are more horses arses in the world than there are horses?

Thanks chaps much appreciated.

i get rats underneath my large bird table the come from next door
    who has chickens, but they meet a quick end on my side of the hedge
    x8 rats in 3 weeks nailed by my hw100 .177 with my ns wolf on board
    .i am keeping a sharp eye open for any more
    i just use bird feed after a while the rats hang around a few seconds
    thats all i need bang---dead rat!!!
    atb brian

I use nutella mixed with with cooking oil, with whatever they are feeding on in the mix.
    They seem to love it !
    Peace through superior fire power!

Peanut butter with drinking chocolate

hmmm all this talk of nutella and peanut butter...am off to kitchen to make a sarnie , sod the rats