Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FT scope for a break barrel springer

FT scope for a break barrel springer

I'm quite attached to my break barrel, it's in a high state of tune, and in a lovely FT style stock. I used to shoot HFT with it, but am switching to FT.

I have no aspiration to make it big, I just like shooting.

Been shooting FT with a HFT scope fixed 10x, and doing ok, but would like to at least range find a bit better and not be blurred past 40yds so looking for a scope more suited to FT.

Only trouble is, all the starter FT scopes are too long for a break barrel. A fixed mag scope like a Leopold competition 35x45 or 40x45 may just fit, but I guess will be difficult to find.
    Even a 32x scope are mostly too long, and a lot don't bother with a 10yd close focus if they are short enough so I'm starting to Struggle !

Suggestions and advice on how I can shoot FT with my break barrel please? Would love to find that scope which fits!

Thanks!
    Thanks - Geoff.

JerryD is offline Will only use cherry lipbalm
    Starters for 10:

Reparallaxed Bushy 6500 4.5-30x50: short enough, v. clear optics but a bit of a bugger to learn in terms of rangefinding.

You may get away with a Bushy 8-32x40 with high enough mounts, but getting owners to part with them is a bit of a "cold dead fingers" situation (I have 2 - nope!)

Take a look at the high mag Athlon range as well. Try Opticswarehouse.

Jerry

What about the hawke airmax range?
    I think they are quite small
    Daystate Regal xl .177 / Hawke niteeye 6-24x50irsf...
    Weihrauch HW97 .22 tbt kit / Hawke sidewinder 30 10×42...

2 ferrets and a net...

I can only get to 24x zoom under 400mm in the airmax.
    The 32x is too long.

Got a front AO bushnell which is lovely glass, but way too long.
    Most specs for the SF bushnell only close focus down to 20 yards or so, and I need 10yds for FT?

Got my eye on the Athlon Helios 8-34 which will just fit at 15.5inches, 2 issues though, it seems quite heavy, and still only focus down to 15 yards.
    Last edited by mrgeoff; 22-01-2018 at 07:10 PM.
    Thanks - Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgeoff View Post
    Got my eye on the Athlon Helios 8-34 which will just fit at 15.5inches, 2 issues though, it seems quite heavy, and still only focus down to 15 yards.
    If you're considering the Athlon then a Leupold close focus adapter should get you from 15 minimum to around 10yds or perhaps lower.

When they're that close the alternative is to bracket the KZ with the reticle and use the zoom: calibrate it so a set gap on the ret corresponds to a distance at a certain mag setting. Works pretty well if you are teady enough and is good enough for judging to 1 yard at that range.

Jerry

Will a close focus add length to the scope? And how much do they weigh?
    Thanks - Geoff.

What break barrel is it?

What stock is it in?

How high are your mounts?

How tall are you?

It’s a HW95, Gary Cane stock, will buy the mounts to fit the scope, I’m 6ft3, but long legs, normal length torso and arms.

In reality, don’t know if any of the above changes the max scope length of 16 inches, as long as the new scope has same eye relief as old scope, I have measured from old scope eye piece, to where the break barrel opens. I will NOT be raising the scope up and over the barrel catch!
    Thanks - Geoff.

Will a close focus add length to the scope? And how much do they weigh?
    Depends how it's mounted: usually placed in a butler-creek objective flip-up cover. Even if mounted in it's Leupold housing it adds ~ 20mm - but since it can be "flipped up" and back over the scope, it's out the way. Maybe adds a couple of oz, less if mounted directly into the flip-up in a custom-made housing.

Jerry

It’s a HW95, Gary Cane stock, will buy the mounts to fit the scope, I’m 6ft3, but long legs, normal length torso and arms.

In reality, don’t know if any of the above changes the max scope length of 16 inches, as long as the new scope has same eye relief as old scope, I have measured from old scope eye piece, to where the break barrel opens. I will NOT be raising the scope up and over the barrel catch!
    Geoff

I asked those questions because ...

Rifle and stock ... a standard stock on a sporter rifle is normally too shallow for most FT shooters. So they add depth to the underside of the stock to get the action higher in the stance.

Height ... this normally relates to leg length. The taller folk with longer legs have their knees higher off the ground, so need less depth underneath.

Height of mounts ... these are normally selected to position the scope that it's in a comfortable position with your head ( eyes ) in a comfortable sitting FT position. Low mounts can mean that you are forcing your head to lean forward which will introduce tension in the neck and is not ideal.

Most people also like some extra height in the mounts to try and keep the vertical balance of the set up better, given that most use a deep fore end ( as explained above ). The other beauty of high mounts is that it appears to level trajectory at longer ranges. so you need less holdover or dialling ( clicks ) for the long range targets.

I was trying to establish if the mounts could be higher so that front bell of the scope would be higher, and be an advantage to you re set up balance, better more relaxed head position, and also allow a slightly longer scope, and still have break barrel clearance.

Don't buy the mounts to fit the scope. Buy the mounts and any additional risers to fit you and your best position. That may mean higher mounts ... higher scope ... more clearance for break barrel.

You've said that you aren't going to lift the scope just to suit the break barrel. That's fine, as long as you are setting the scope height for your head.

Sorry if you've done loads of FT and already know all that.

I still can't edit posts on this new laptop ... Grrr.

Geoff

Just like you I shot loads of HFT and I used a 77 in a Gary Cane FT stock with a low mag scope. I then switched to FT and use the same rifle and stock but moved to a Custom Shop scope. Huge compared to my HFT scope. Using medium mounts I couldn't get at the loading bay ( different issue than yours ) because the scope sat close to it. Huge front bell on the old Custom Shop scopes.

I thought I wouldn't be able to use that rifle/scope for FT. I then realised that when sitting I was leaning my head forward to reach the scope. I was making me fit the set up rather than making the set up fit me.

I sat in a more relaxed position and then had to lift the scope up quite a bit to reach the level of my eyes. Once I'd done that I could access the loading bay. I also got the added benefit of less hold over at longer ranges.

Thanks!

The stock seems to be pretty well fitted, I know I can lift my head slightly, and will need to for the bigger bell on the FT scope.
    The HW barrel lifts quite a long way, I don’t think pushing the scope into the break barrel zone is much of an option.

Just got to continue the search for a shorter scope, either the Leupold Comp x45 series, or for even more money a Delta Stryker!!!

TBH, I may just get a Hawke Airmax 24x scope to get me going, my friend seems to do ok on only 18 mag, it’s only a bit of fun?
    Thanks - Geoff.

Which club are you shooting with? Can the experienced club members give any advice?

Also, you say you have an FT stock - does it have adjustable cheekpiece and buttpad? If so, a high mounted scope is not a problem to deal with. I have a Pro-Elite in a CS800 fitted with a Leupold 18-40x44 EFR and have no issues with barrel clearance.

Jerry

What about a first focal plane scope that way you could adjust the mag to suit your target range.
    Daystate Regal xl .177 / Hawke niteeye 6-24x50irsf...
    Weihrauch HW97 .22 tbt kit / Hawke sidewinder 30 10×42...

2 ferrets and a net...

Thanks!

The stock seems to be pretty well fitted, I know I can lift my head slightly, and will need to for the bigger bell on the FT scope.
    The HW barrel lifts quite a long way, I don’t think pushing the scope into the break barrel zone is much of an option.

Just got to continue the search for a shorter scope, either the Leupold Comp x45 series, or for even more money a Delta Stryker!!!

TBH, I may just get a Hawke Airmax 24x scope to get me going, my friend seems to do ok on only 18 mag, it’s only a bit of fun?
    I had an Airmax 8X32X50 which I sold. The image was soft at anything above 16X to my eyes and it also displayed a sort of tunnel effect. I kept my C-More 3X30X56 which is crystal clear to about 26X and it actually is a pretty compact scope for its spec.

A.G