Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FT scope for a break barrel springer

Quote Originally Posted by mrgeoff View Post
    I will NOT be raising the scope up and over the barrel catch!
    Free your mind, Geoff.

Look at the scope height used by the folks who are good at FT, then get yourself some high mounts + riser blocks or a riser rail.

And check how high your stock's comb will go - because you might need some extended posts!

HTH

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24x40AO with box and Paper work !
    A rather spelidid Scope formally Bauch and Lomb !
    “An airgun or two”………

Although the C-More is a little heavy, it’s a good fit for the rifle, good price too :-)

Thanks.
    Thanks - Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackrider View Post
    Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24x40AO with box and Paper work !
    A rather spelidid Scope formally Bauch and Lomb !
    I think I have one of these if it’s a front AO? Super clear glass. Would rather side focus though?
    Thanks - Geoff.

TBH, I may just get a Hawke Airmax 24x scope to get me going, my friend seems to do ok on only 18 mag, it’s only a bit of fun?
    Geoff

The reason for most FT shooters suggesting mag of 30+ is for rangefinding the longer targets. A lot of shooters don't shoot on high mag. They just use it to rangefind and then wind the mag down to about 20. There is less wobble on hold at 20x than 40x ( noticeable ).

When I shot the first Recoil Champs at Anston in HFT mode I shot on 9x and used a simple 30/30 ret. After half hour's practice I could easily tell the difference, using the ret and the kill, between a 50 and 55 yard target. Close enough anyway. So you don't have to use very high mag to range. You could use a scope of around 18 - 24 mag if it physically fits your set up. You can then use the ret ( mil dots would be preferred ) to check the range via the kill zone or the faceplate hinge to kill. In HFT this became more difficult as course setters knew that shooters were using the rets to rangefind, so they started altering plates and/or kills to make non standard sizes to confuse shooters.

In FT there is no such concern to fool shooters, as everyone uses high mag to range via focus. So most FT targets are still standard plates with standard 40mm kills or 25mm kills. So you could easily learn to use your ret to range and use a much lower mag scope that fits your rifle.

I think I have one of these if it’s a front AO? Super clear glass. Would rather side focus though?
    They do a 'SF' version with Side Focus. Unless that's an 'upgrade' but has lesser glass than the originals.

JerryD is offline Will only use cherry lipbalm
    Quote Originally Posted by bozzer View Post
    They do a 'SF' version with Side Focus. Unless that's an 'upgrade' but has lesser glass than the originals.
    Yep: the 4500. It comes down to 25yds minimum - and isn't s good as the 4200 series.

Don't dismiss front AO on a springer: take a look at springer shooters at GPs and a lot of them use the Bushy 4200, or the older Burris 8-32.

Jerry

Ah ... Cheers Jerry. The SF is no good to him then.

Thanks for the input, much appreciated.

I kinda like using my fixed 10x scope on the FT course and it makes me very happy to hit the 45-55yd targets HFT style. I know exactly what you mean.
    I think I could do even better with say 14x and some sort of AO just to bring the far targets into focus to see the pellet strike. I have no hope currently, but this 14x scope is an option if I don’t get anywhere with a FT style scope.

As this is an option, I can be a bit more picky about a true FT scope, if one should ever come up.
    I believe that scope is a Leupold Comp 35x45. It will just fit, it’s nice and light, and mag is just ok for ranging and should just be ok for shooting on as I know a lot of people did use this and the 40x45.

If the scope dosnt work for me FT, it will be an upgrade for benchrest, so will hold out for one.

Thanks!
    Thanks - Geoff.

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    It is the AO front focus model Geoff !
    Superb glass and I think I rate it better than on the 6500 range !
    “An airgun or two”………

Just measured my Bushnell, its 17 inches long, and while it may have a small AO so I could just squeeze it onto super high mounts, im not going to.

Been suggested to not only look at the Leupold Comp series which will fit, but a boosted Leup too if any came up. Leupolds seem to be short, light, and if used for FT will have been modded in some way to close focus OK so thats what im hanging out for.

Will continue to use my 10x until then.

Thanks.
    Thanks - Geoff.