Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bonehill Britannia

Bonehill Britannia

Hi all,

I won a good looking Britannia air rifle at auction the other week, some of you may have seen it. Here is a link:

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/a...0-a84a0115c207

It looks to be in good nick, bit of pitting and such. Also looks like it is missing its rear sight (Did not notice this until I saw other examples)

Can anyone more knowledgeable tell me more about these fine rifles? This one is numbered 926.

Also if anyone knows of any rear sights for sale......long shot i know.

I paid £320 for it. Was this too much? or did I get the bargain of the century?

Cheers
    ]Jake

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    sounds very fair to me I like them.

rear sight - no chance.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Good price at auction.
    But the missing rear sight won't help with collectors.

price

was it 320 all in or 320+comission ?

Quote Originally Posted by splosh! View Post
    was it 320 all in or 320+comission ?
    around 380 with commission.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Sounds like a bargain, they didn't make many of them and they are really splendid early springers. Well done. I would clamp a scope to the barrel without drilling or doing anything horrible to it, just to see what the old girl could do. Maybe a 4x pistol scope halfway down. Alternatively, adapt a HW rearsight. Someone could make a new rearsight up if you can find another to copy.

Here's a little history ...

http://cinedux.com/the-improved-bone...-air-rifle.php

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    Sounds like a bargain, they didn't make many of them and they are really splendid early springers. Well done. I would clamp a scope to the barrel without drilling or doing anything horrible to it, just to see what the old girl could do. Maybe a 4x pistol scope halfway down.
    Never thought about that. I defiantly dont want to permanently alter the rifle. Though I do have a bsa no 8 sight laying around and I heard they work well. But the idea of a scope sounds good. Might try and find one that "fits" the rifle. We shall see.

I actually just remembered that I have an old Diana x3 scope in my workbench. That might do the trick

Quote Originally Posted by Huttles94 View Post
    Never thought about that. I defiantly dont want to permanently alter the rifle. Though I do have a bsa no 8 sight laying around and I heard they work well. But the idea of a scope sounds good. Might try and find one that "fits" the rifle. We shall see.
    I have a Britannia in my collection with a missing rearsight and which has been fitted with a BSA No 8. This has had no adverse effect on the cylinder and the rifle performs superbly. It is quite possible the sight was fitted not long after the rifle was made as patina seems even and I know the rifle's history from the last 30 years -when it first appeared, the BSA sight accompanied it. Contemporary reviews referred to U.S. made Lyman sights, which were very similar.

Price is probably about right for a Britannia with missing rearsight. Britannia air rifles were originally fitted with 4 different types of rearsight and as yours appears to be serial numbered in the 900s, it would have had a sprung leaf. It was not a complicated sight and there may well be a suitably qualified engineer on this site that would be able to make up a replacement for you.

John

Good deal. Looks like it has been re-blued at some stage as the letters and numbers have been buffed a bit shallow. I fitted another sight to mates and also a PU piston seal which put up f.p.s. If it were mine would make a new back sight.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    I have a Britannia in my collection with a missing rearsight and which has been fitted with a BSA No 8. This has had no adverse effect on the cylinder and the rifle performs superbly. It is quite possible the sight was fitted not long after the rifle was made as patina seems even and I know the rifle's history from the last 30 years -when it first appeared, the BSA sight accompanied it. Contemporary reviews referred to U.S. made Lyman sights, which were very similar.

Price is probably about right for a Britannia with missing rearsight. Britannia air rifles were originally fitted with 4 different types of rearsight and as yours appears to be serial numbered in the 900s, it would have had a sprung leaf. It was not a complicated sight and there may well be a suitably qualified engineer on this site that would be able to make up a replacement for you.

John
    Could you possible post some images? Just so I get an idea on what id have to do if I was to put my bsa no 8 on it.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Huttles94 View Post
    Could you possible post some images? Just so I get an idea on what id have to do if I was to put my bsa no 8 on it.

Cheers
    Happy to but I'll need to dig the rifle out and take them, so it won't be immediate.

Kind regards,

John

I've attached a link to some photos of my Britannia with BSA No 8 sight and some of another Britannia fitted with the sprung leaf sight I mentioned earlier.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/hl3qDLbspZ5S4nH83

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

John

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    I've attached a link to some photos of my Britannia with BSA No 8 sight and some of another Britannia fitted with the sprung leaf sight I mentioned earlier.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/hl3qDLbspZ5S4nH83

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

John
    Hello John,

Thanks for sharing the pictures of your No 8 sighted Britannia which actually don't look the least bit out of place and would have made a nice option when the rifle was originally purchased. The thought of fitting an optical sight however sends me into a shiver at the the very thought of it. Its' about time somebody published a book about these iconic old air rifles don't you think ?

Regards
    Brian

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    I like that #8 option...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.