Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Webley Mark 3 vs BSA Airsporter

Before I offer my view I must confess that it is based on nothing but gut instinct as I have never handled either....

That being said if I wanted a .177" I would go for the Webley, if I wanted a .22" the BSA. If push came to shove I would opt for the Webley even though I think the BSA is beautiful I think I need professional help
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    The answer is, Falke 80, if you can find one.

One question on the Webley, why the white plastic disc with their name on it put at the end of the stock? Couldn’t they at least make it brass like on their pistols? I have held a Webley at my first gun show, a year ago, and was thinking of buying it but ended up getting my first Webley pistol instead. I remember being very impressed with the build quality, seemed like a lot of weight forward. Never held a Airsporter. The Fawlke 80 does look like the answer but I probably have a better chance finding my boxed Tell 3?
    Last edited by 45flint; 23-01-2018 at 10:48 PM.

Got a few airsporters here and the mk1's and mk2's are the best of the bunch. These early airsporters were built to such a high standards.

I joined this site a year ago and have found it most informative. I have also found the members most helpful with regard to my queries and their assistance has been gratefully received. I have begun my own collection, in consequence, which is still at an early stage and my knowledge is somewhat limited compared with that of many members.

One of the things I discovered, relatively early, was not to touch on any question relating to the merits or otherwise between the Webley Mk3 and the BSA Airsporter, because it would revisit a festering and oft-visited sore, for which there was no definite conclusion.

That said, I have much enjoyed reading this correspondence. Probably, we are all slightly biased according to our experiences.

I had an Airsporter in the mid '70s. It was inconsistent, inefficient and certainly inferior to the BSA Mercury. I have never fired a Mk1 or Mk2 - a pleasure I have yet to experience.

Many complain that the Webley Mk3 was a copy of the pre-War Diana. Surely, in this situation, the same people must logically complain that the Diana was, in turn, a copy of the pre-WW1 BSA Standard?!

I have two near mint Mk3s but wish to widen my collection so shall probably offload one. I am, nonetheless, especially attached to the Mk3 because of its engineering: it holds the spring with the loading tap upturned. The tapered barrel is second to none in appearance. The grouping at 25yds is sub 1in with open sights, although the trigger leaves much to be desired, as does the scope ramp. The open sights are pretty good, once zeroed and perhaps this rifle should best be used with open sights only. The power is not bad at well over 10ft/lb (one of mine exceeds 11ft/lb). The Mk3 has a soul and a personality and every collector should have one.

As for the loading tap, I like it on the right but then I am left-handed.

It is unfortunate that BSA and Webley did not reinvest in research and development. As with so much of British industry at that time, the purpose was to extract the greatest return with the smallest capital investment. No wonder the Germans took over the airgun market in the UK. Happily, we invented the pcp but we also have a winner in Air Arms but, unhappily, we have lost Webley and BSA, both of which are now manufactured overseas.

I therefore submit my own tuppence worth with these views in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewM View Post
    I joined this site a year ago and have found it most informative. I have also found the members most helpful with regard to my queries and their assistance has been gratefully received. I have begun my own collection, in consequence, which is still at an early stage and my knowledge is somewhat limited compared with that of many members.

One of the things I discovered, relatively early, was not to touch on any question relating to the merits or otherwise between the Webley Mk3 and the BSA Airsporter, because it would revisit a festering and oft-visited sore, for which there was no definite conclusion.

That said, I have much enjoyed reading this correspondence. Probably, we are all slightly biased according to our experiences.

I had an Airsporter in the mid '70s. It was inconsistent, inefficient and certainly inferior to the BSA Mercury. I have never fired a Mk1 or Mk2 - a pleasure I have yet to experience.

Many complain that the Webley Mk3 was a copy of the pre-War Diana. Surely, in this situation, the same people must logically complain that the Diana was, in turn, a copy of the pre-WW1 BSA Standard?!

I have two near mint Mk3s but wish to widen my collection so shall probably offload one. I am, nonetheless, especially attached to the Mk3 because of its engineering: it holds the spring with the loading tap upturned. The tapered barrel is second to none in appearance. The grouping at 25yds is sub 1in with open sights, although the trigger leaves much to be desired, as does the scope ramp. The open sights are pretty good, once zeroed and perhaps this rifle should best be used with open sights only. The power is not bad at well over 10ft/lb (one of mine exceeds 11ft/lb). The Mk3 has a soul and a personality and every collector should have one.

As for the loading tap, I like it on the right but then I am left-handed.

It is unfortunate that BSA and Webley did not reinvest in research and development. As with so much of British industry at that time, the purpose was to extract the greatest return with the smallest capital investment. No wonder the Germans took over the airgun market in the UK. Happily, we invented the pcp but we also have a winner in Air Arms but, unhappily, we have lost Webley and BSA, both of which are now manufactured overseas.

I therefore submit my own tuppence worth with these views in mind.
    Enjoying these thoughts. I too am pretty recent to this site and find it about the only place to share about these old collectables that have become a late acquired passion. I find it somewhat amusing that you share a discussion question like this may bring heated discussion given individuals deep seated feelings. I never knew these two rifles existed till a year ago! Lol late to the party.

BSA still make guns in England.

I think, 45flint, that it is not that heated but probably there are passions. It is an unresolved argument and it is inconclusive, it seems. It reignites from time to time but it is always an interesting discussion.

I did not know, Powderfinger, that BSA still produce in this country and I am pleased to hear this. Alas, Webley does not.

By the way, I noticed this link in which a Mk3 is advertised at what seems a considerable premium to me. They are not cheap, if in very good condition, it seems but they seem to come up here more frequently at a more reasonable price.

https://www.gunstar.co.uk/webley-web...ats_id=6648576

Rgds
    A

Quote Originally Posted by andrewM View Post
    I think, 45flint, that it is not that heated but probably there are passions. It is an unresolved argument and it is inconclusive, it seems. It reignites from time to time but it is always an interesting discussion.

I did not know, Powderfinger, that BSA still produce in this country and I am pleased to hear this. Alas, Webley does not.

By the way, I noticed this link in which a Mk3 is advertised at what seems a considerable premium to me. They are not cheap, if in very good condition, it seems but they seem to come up here more frequently at a more reasonable price.

https://www.gunstar.co.uk/webley-web...ats_id=6648576

Rgds
    A
    That’s a bit much but if truly mint you never know what it can bring. Over here it is more a issue of availability really. You just don’t see these guns. I’ve seen one at a Airgun show at a fair price last year but you never see these really early Webleys on our auction sites. Looking forward to a new round of Airgun shows this year, but will be surprised if these English classics appear.

It's a pity Webley didn't put a bit more thought into developing a mount for their early telescopic sighted rifles instead of diving in with an obviously weak solution.

These early spot welded mounts were really only suitable for light plastic scopes and were prone to breaking away like opening a corned beef tin if the attachment screws were inadvertently over tightened.

I'm not a big fan of optical sights on these old rifles anyway, but if it was needed to keep up with the competition, I feel they could have come up with something a bit better.

For me the Supertarget version was the pinnacle of this particular design, but having said that, I would still opt for an Airsporter with a similar aperture sight arrangement fitted.

Brian
    Last edited by Abasmajor; 24-01-2018 at 01:25 PM.

The Airsporter was a succesful design for half a century, the only real fault being the poor open sights but I think these were regarded as superfluous after continuous odovetails were introduced even though they were placed suitably for a giraffe BSA improved it continously alongside their break barrels whilst Webley chose to replace the MK III with a series of rehashed 'new' models.....but we wont go there.

So Airsporter for me
    "But we have our own dream and our own task. We are with Europe, but not of it. We are linked, but not comprised. We are interested and associated, but not absorbed."
    Winston Churchill 1930

It would be very hard for me to choose one over the other as I have a fondness for both the Webley Mark 3 and early BSA Airsporters.

Perhaps see which comes up first in the requisite condition and go with that one. Then if and when funds allow, and if the opportunity arises, buy the other. There are some interesting aperture sight options for both the Mark 3 and early Airsporter, so if one of these came your way, my advice would be to snap it up.

Best of luck in your search.

John

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    A compromise would be to get hold of a nice BSA Airsporter 'Club', if you can find one. It is a short-stroke, low recoil .177 version of the Mk 1 Airsporter. Less powerful than the .22, but you really shouldn't be hunting with these old rifles anyway.

Like this one

http://www.timdysonairguns.co.uk/sho...fle-sn-pw-519/

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Gen View Post
    The Airsporter was a succesful design for half a century, the only real fault being the poor open sights but I think these were regarded as superfluous after continuous odovetails were introduced even though they were placed suitably for a giraffe BSA improved it continously alongside their break barrels whilst Webley chose to replace the MK III with a series of rehashed 'new' models.....but we wont go there.

So Airsporter for me
    I find it hard to think of the Mk3-7 Airsporters as improvements. RB2, maybe.

I remember as a kid I has an airsporter and my mate had a MK 3 the Bsa was more powerful and much more reliable ( and we used to give them some stick )
    his used to keep undoing every screw and pin and he needed a tool kit in his pocket to keep it working
    The airsporter just kept going ! Having said that I loved his MK3 and thought it was the most beautiful thing on earth ( not really too involved with girls at that age )

Have one of each and a osprey Now ( another gun that was WOW first time I saw it ) Never really shoot them but they are nice to have