Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Webley Mark 3 vs BSA Airsporter

Norwich 'A Fine City' (unless you're a driver)
    When did the Airsporter MK1lose it's adjustable sight and gain the flip up.

Quote Originally Posted by ogilkes View Post
    when it got a scope rail and became the mk2 I think !

Quote Originally Posted by mallyally View Post
    Yes, that’s true my Mk2 coming has the flip up.

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    Hi Steve,

Unfortunately, with age often comes failing eyesight and the consequent need to find aids which allow us to continue shooting rather just collecting old air guns.

I have managed to compensate for my less than perfect vision by fitting period aperture sights and obtaining a pair of prescribed shooting glasses which works fine for the moment anyway.

A nice addition to your Mk2 Airsporter would be a foresight protector like the one pictured below if you can find one.

Regards
    Brian
    The rifle coming has the protector on it. It looks just about new which is why I bought it. I have been using a lot of peep sights which are great for old eyes. The BSA Standard has such a fine open sight it’s almost like a peep. Love the feel of that old gun.

Quote Originally Posted by ogilkes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mallyally View Post
    Not claiming great expertise, but I believe the really serious BSA researchers have identified various transitional examples that combine features of the Mk1 and early Mk2. IIRC, the Mk2 differed in the stock, barrel profile, machining of the front end of the cylinder, scope mount cuts, and rear sight, and probably other points of detail, so plenty of opportunities for transitional hybrids to have been made.

But, yes, basically the folding sight is supposed to be a Mk2 feature, along with the scope mount cuts (later grooves).

So the idea was you could flip down the sight if you mounted a scope?

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    So the idea was you could flip down the sight if you mounted a scope?
    Exactly. I think that was the idea, but I don't claim to be an expert. Scopes on British airguns became a big thing (at least for advertising purposes) in the very late 50s/early 60s. Most of them were awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Exactly. I think that was the idea, but I don't claim to be an expert. Scopes on British airguns became a big thing (at least for advertising purposes) in the very late 50s/early 60s. Most of them were awful.
    Something else to collect, aweful period scope!

Something else to collect, aweful period scope!
    Coincidentally I am preparing a piece on the first BSA telescope sights for Airgun World. I'm sorry to say my initial efforts at using them have been somewhat challenging, so I think I may just stick to the historical facts rather than including a practical test

Incidentally, as has been previously suggested, the flip up sight was initially a transitional feature first seen on GC and ED prefixed Airsporter/Club Mk 1 rifles, which were made in 1959, just before the Mark 1 became the Mark 2 and the Club was discontinued.

A review of the BSA Club, Airsporter Mk 1 and Mk 2 was written up in Airgun Shooter by Mike Jones and was published in the March, April and May 2016 issues of the magazine, which ought to answer some questions on these lovely old rifles. I'm not sure if they are on the Vintage Airgun Gallery but may be worth seeking out if not.

John M

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Coincidentally I am preparing a piece on the first BSA telescope sights for Airgun World. I'm sorry to say my initial efforts at using them have been somewhat challenging, so I think I may just stick to the historical facts rather than including a practical test

Incidentally, as has been previously suggested, the flip up sight was initially a transitional feature first seen on GC and ED prefixed Airsporter/Club Mk 1 rifles, which were made in 1959, just before the Mark 1 became the Mark 2 and the Club was discontinued.

A review of the BSA Club, Airsporter Mk 1 and Mk 2 was written up in Airgun Shooter by Mike Jones and was published in the March, April and May 2016 issues of the magazine, which ought to answer some questions on these lovely old rifles. I'm not sure if they are on the Vintage Airgun Gallery but may be worth seeking out if not.

John M
    It would be fasinating to see the actual period scopes for these early guns.

It would be fasinating to see the actual period scopes for these early guns.
    As luck would have it, I have found a Mark 1, Mark 2, Mark 3 and Mark 4, some of which are still boxed. I plan to include images of all when I submit my review.

The Mark 1 does not have an Image Moving reticle, so to zero it, the crosshairs can end up anywhere but central in the tube, and the clarity is akin to looking through a milk bottle. Then there's the Mark 2, which was recommended for the BSA Merlin and has an Objective lens just a few mm wide!

All part of our history though and just goes to show how things have moved on in the space of just a few decades.

John