Thread: Standard Vs Carbine, Accuracy?

Gnome of the Woods Guest

Standard Vs Carbine, Accuracy?

Does anybody have a view on the difference in accuracy between standard and carbine barrels. I am looking for a rifle for Hft. Comments please.

Thanks,

Paul

After shooting a s400 .177 and a s400k .177 I doubt there is ANY difference in accuracy, only number of shots per charge...

Cheers, Jon

Wot he said.
    Old age is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Hi Paul, surely you must be joking, this is a recurring theme and given time this thread will most likely be highly 'popular!' Yeah, maybe anyway.

In my opinion (*groan*) it rather depends whether you're talking about PCP or spring guns. Most (excluding FAC rated) pneumatics do not have any recoil. So barrel length 'seems' to make little difference to accuracy, providing you can hold the thing still until the pellet has exited the barrel.

Guns with a significant recoil, though, are easier to shoot accurately in carbine form, because the lock time (i.e. the time interval from pulling the trigger until the projectile leaves the barrel) is shorter. Therefore, there is less likelihood of the gun moving or being pulled off target, while the pellet is still in the barrel and accuracy suffering as a result.

That's it, in a nutshell, or in a mouthfull of nutshells more like. Regards ... Geek
    PauL H. - Shotgoon
    Brownings: 1999 Ultra XS; 2004 B525 Field; 2010 Maxus Hunter: Air Arms 1998 Mk.2 Pro-Target, 2001 Mk.2 Pro-Sport & 2003 S400C

Ideot Savant Guest
    No difference . Can change the balance a little so on a spring piston rifle it can affect muzzle flip and change the size of the groups a tad for good or bad depending on how you hold, weight of scope etc. A longer barrel also means a longer lock-time, so you need better follow through, shorter can be an advantage.
    I believe Bowkett did an experiment couple of decades ago (ish), shortening a barrel till accuracy dropped off, he got down to a few inches.
    I always prefer carbines over the standard length, with the exception of the BSA Superstar, (I prefer the balance of the standard gun). Lovely gun, gotta buy anouther...

Makes no difference to accuracy, a really short barrel on a non PCP (such as Fenman) makes it easier to shoot, whereas one of the most accurate airguns ever is the Eliminator which is hardly a carbine

Then theres Prosports etc all shortish barrels, a PCP is more efficient with a longer barrel

Baz

I do HFT(I'm getting better slowly)I've got both s400 classic and carbine. I can't tell the difference in accuracy, the carbine is a really nice fit, if I were to have to choose between the two I'd go for the carbine - trouble is my son claims that it is his. Dang it.

Get one, no get one of each...

Have fun

Richard

partime outlaw Guest
    There might be some value to having a longer barrel as with archers stabaliser rods, it may dampen movment but the extra weight may also make you tire quicker. Most archers use 30inch weighted rods out in front to settle the shot before release but this theory may only partly translate to a barrel in a freehand shot