So after joining the forum and much good advice from the folks here I finally managed to get some free time this weekend for a trip to a range. I popped over to the Halifax Airgun Club and hired a break barrel springer for an hour to see if I could still shoot reasonably straight. After I got it into my head that consistent grouping and proper hold, breathing and trigger technique were really what I should be looking for rather than spending too much time fiddling with a hired scope I got a group of 10 down to 20mm (a smidge over 3/4" in old money).

The question is really how tight a group might I be able to expect on a 10m range taking into account I'm shooting rested (forend on soft shooting bag, left hand balled under butt of stock) using a hired .22, random pellets and a BSA scope that is probably a 4x32 and has no pa adjustment? Or is that missing the point and really if I'm practising the right techniques any practice will be of benefit until I can equip myself with something more capable.