Thread: Itching for another rifle. But on a budget.....

Itching for another rifle. But on a budget.....

Ok so partly to get started on a post count and partly to get some suggestions....

I have 3 kids all sub 13yrs and only do plinking in some woods and i already own a rotex rm8 (.22) and a supersport se (.177) (also my dads old webley junior!)
    and im itching to get another rifle

im open to suggestions and views on.....
    Wierauch hw30
    AA S200
    BSA lightning
    Hw35
    Bsa ultra
    or even hw50/99

A bit ecletic i know! Lusted after a hw30 for a while now, realise the aa200 might be best for kids?and to cap it all secretly like bsa ultras....
    Any opinions on what i need as opposed to what i want....got to be .177 too.... as im fed up with the trajectory of the 22...

Cheers
    Chris

tinbum is online now Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Welcome to the forum.

If you don't like the trajectory of a .22 then forget the HW30, it will be the same in .177.

Get an ultra or S200 if you want a pcp, but a used HW95 is a great choice for a budget boinger.
    My ignore list: ​<Hidden information>

Any of your choices, but please don't get the Lightning, utter sxxxe

Welcome aboard the BBS

Edit, depending on your kids build, the 35 could be a bit weighty.

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpetier View Post

Welcome aboard the BBS

What? worse than the new supersport (gamo made) that i have!!!

(In its defense it Does shoot spot on but incredibly twangy)

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    Welcome to the forum.

If you don't like the trajectory of a .22 then forget the HW30, it will be the same in .177.

Get an ultra or S200 if you want a pcp, but a used HW95 is a great choice for a budget boinger.
    Agree with Nick on this one.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisfs150 View Post
    ..... as im fed up with the trajectory of the 22...
    Your not fed up with .22 you're just not mastered it.....yet.
    Learning to shoot a .22 will put you in a good position for all airgun shooting.
    I would recommend the BSA Ultra, but don't forget the extra cost of charging gear. Why the Ultra ? Because you will, at some time or other get a pcp and you'll already have the charging gear.

Stick my neck out here, what about a HW57? Not too heavy, safe breech loading for younger shooters. Not everyones cup of tea but worth a look.

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisfs150 View Post
    im open to suggestions and views on.....
    Wierauch hw30
    AA S200
    BSA lightning
    Hw35
    Bsa ultra
    or even hw50/99
    I've owned a few of these:
    HW30 - As per my thread from last week ('HW30s hassles'), these are not very nice out of the box and will probably require urgent fettling before use. Also as said above at lower power the trajectory will not be that different to .22. The HW99 shares many of the same faults.

BSA lightning: Complete dogs, avoid. Especially horrible to shoot in .177. Someone will probably pop up and say that theirs is lovely. But IME they are poorly designed and made and not at all easy to shoot. HW's at least respond very well to a basic fettle, but lightnings will always be crap no matter how much money you throw at them.

BSA Ultra: One of the only rifles I ever sold, and I bitterly regret it. In the synthetic stock it probably has the best factory stock of any entry-level PCP. Mine was extremely accurate, though it was in .22 (BSA for all their faults make some of the best .22 barrels going). Very handle-able and can be moderated so it is very quiet indeed.

Have you considered a HW95/95k?
    Good deals with these members

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpetier View Post

Welcome aboard the BBS

Edit, depending on your kids build, the 35 could be a bit weighty.
    Any of your choices, but please don't get the Lightning, utter sxxxe...

WAAHHH , what's wrong with the Lightning ?...

On a more serious note though, probably not the best choice of rifle for yer kids...
    .22 S410...
    .22 Webley Xocet...
    .22 HW95k...

Tony.T is offline For vicious attack Pasties, 177, 22 or 12bore?
    If you get in touch in touch (e-mail or phone) call round to see me, I have a large collection of rifles and pistols- a lot of which won't be suitable but some will be. I'm currently re-habbing after a long hospital stay, but I should be able to get up into my attic range within the next week. You and your kids will be welcome to come round, look at them and try them out!
    video transferred to DVD, USB etc. Old negs and photos scanned to digital media
    www.digitalconversions.co.uk

tinbum is online now Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony.T View Post
    If you get in touch in touch (e-mail or phone) call round to see me, I have a large collection of rifles and pistols- a lot of which won't be suitable but some will be. I'm currently re-habbing after a long hospital stay, but I should be able to get up into my attic range within the next week. You and your kids will be welcome to come round, look at them and try them out!
    That's very brave of you! You do realise he's from Bodmin don't you!?

My ignore list: ​<Hidden information>

Tony.T is offline For vicious attack Pasties, 177, 22 or 12bore?
    Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    That's very brave of you! You do realise he's from Bodmin don't you!?

Oh bugger.....

So am I (now)

How the hell did that happen???

video transferred to DVD, USB etc. Old negs and photos scanned to digital media
    www.digitalconversions.co.uk

Welcome to the forum. My choice out of the ones listed would be AA S200. Not the cheapest nor the lightest of the guns listed but hellishly accurate and also customisable for little money. You can even add an externally fitted regulator to it if you wished. Good luck with your choice.

A.G

30s or 99s...

S200 is a cracking starter and long term rifle. Could go with a FN 12; the Lighthunters would be even better for the kids.

On the point of .22 if you find it too loopy you can reduce your zero to 25 yards. Similar amount of of hold over/under as .177 set to 35. Complicates long shots a little but forces you to change you stalking tactics.
    Good Deals with: Gazza, Fred, muts65, Brian747, wombat100, Tweaky (BSAOG), the wizard, delboy, craigy, skygrowler, JTH71, pgm112, Doger21, shootingmad, PHOBUS, bhill22, pmcb, pablo19, BobSki, Petay, Double Tap, Geoff555, Wild dogman, Multijet, BANANAMAN, RapidNick