Thread: Hw99s graunch fix

Hw99s graunch fix

Am I correct in thinking that the solution to a graunching 99 is to put a bit of delrin in the u channel at the back of the cocking link to act as a stand-off?

Anyone got a pic of a sorted one that they don’t mind showing?

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    If only it were that simple! Try a delrin strip, if it already has one, remove the spring from under it. With the mainspring removed, work the barrel back and forth listening and feeling for rough/tight spots and deal with them as you find them. File the cocking ears smooth and deburr the cocking slot. Fire 50 shots in quick succession and start again.
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    If only it were that simple! Try a delrin strip, if it already has one, remove the spring from under it. With the mainspring removed, work the barrel back and forth listening and feeling for rough/tight spots and deal with them as you find them. File the cocking ears smooth and deburr the cocking slot. Fire 50 shots in quick succession and start again.
    Cheers Nick.

I’ll have a play.

Hi

I have the model that came with a plastic strip from the factory and it still graunched. Someone on here gave good advice about removing the little spring as tinbum says but also enlarging the pivot hole.

It worked for me on the whole, however from time to time the graunching still comes back. It stays for a few shots then goes again. I'd say it's got rid of it about 95pc of the time. I am coming completely baffled and have learnt to live with it. I don't know a single 99 owner who hasn't encountered the problem. Mine is certainly leaps and bounds better than standard but not quite perfect.

You can buy the cocking arms with plastic in online but you may still be slightly disappointed.

If I had the tools, I'd be tempted to make a delrin guide as you say.

Let me know if it works

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by rg627 View Post
    Hi

I have the model that came with a plastic strip from the factory and it still graunched. Someone on here gave good advice about removing the little spring as tinbum says but also enlarging the pivot hole.

It worked for me on the whole, however from time to time the graunching still comes back. It stays for a few shots then goes again. I'd say it's got rid of it about 95pc of the time. I am coming completely baffled and have learnt to live with it. I don't know a single 99 owner who hasn't encountered the problem. Mine is certainly leaps and bounds better than standard but not quite perfect.
    Fear not! Weihrauch make a springer that doesn't destroy itself for a hobby. It's called the HW95, it's a few pounds more than the 99 but it works.

Properly.

Without self-destructing every 50 shots!
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Fear not! Weihrauch make a springer that doesn't destroy itself for a hobby. It's called the HW95, it's a few pounds more than the 99 but it works.

Properly.

Yeah, but what's the fun in that.

The conclusion I have come to regarding my 99,JUST SHOOT THE FxxxxxG THING There a couple of hundred quid new, obviously less second hand, if they were a couple of grand, different story. I agree they should work correctly from the factory, BUT at the end of the day they cost the same as a few nights on the pxss, if they last a couple of years, then imo there still worth it. Thing is they do last and last for years, giving lots of shooting pleasure to many

Well, I’ve had it in bits and given it a clean, deburred the slot, fettled the ears, fettled the spring ends, made a spring sleeve. Now regressed and reassembled.

It already had the synthetic guide inset into the cocking arm from the factory, so happy days.

No sign of damage anywhere, I’m wondering if the noise I was hearing was just the guide ribbing along the cylinder bottom or maybe the ears inside the slot. Anyway it sounds smooth enough now.

Even then twang has gone after fitting the spring sleeve.

Shot a few through it and it seems fine.

Fingers crossed it stays that way.

Thanks for the input chaps.

Maybe, just maybe, the noise you heard was the cocking link rubbing against the spring coils but the new sleeve has stopped it??? I have had this a few times. Mind you, the noise was more like a car running over rumble strips, so maybe not.
    Cheers, Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpetier View Post
    The conclusion I have come to regarding my 99,JUST SHOOT THE FxxxxxG THING There a couple of hundred quid new, obviously less second hand, if they were a couple of grand, different story. I agree they should work correctly from the factory, BUT at the end of the day they cost the same as a few nights on the pxss, if they last a couple of years, then imo there still worth it. Thing is they do last and last for years, giving lots of shooting pleasure to many
    Very good points made there, Dave.

And I would imagine that there are many thousands of them out there giving pleasure to many people who are blissfully unaware of any "issues" and will continue to deliver sterling, dependable and accurate service for many years.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Properly.

Great Post !
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    You don't think it's a enthusiasts gun to take pride in then

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    You don't think it's a enthusiasts gun to take pride in then
    Just putting it in perspective mate. You can lavish it with love and attention if so desired, or just shoot the hell out of it and enjoy

Just putting it in perspective mate. You can lavish it with love and attention if so desired, or just shoot the hell out of it and enjoy
    Is that the reasoning behind the new avatar then, Dave?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!