Thread: Help needed please regarding BSA Club, Cadet and Cadet Major offered to me today

Help needed please regarding BSA Club, Cadet and Cadet Major offered to me today

I am returning to air rifle shooting nearly 60 years after having my first Webley Junior rifle as a youngster.

I know nothing of the value or required condition of collectable old airguns but today was offered the chance to buy the above three BSA's all from the 1940's from an elderly gent who has had them many years. I read a few threads on here and replied to one with this same request but could not see it hence repeating it with a new thread. (Probably just my lack of experience in using this technology)

Can anyone please give me a very broad range of minimum and maximum price to pay for the following (I cannot get photos unless I buy the rifles so this is all I can give you at this time):

BSA Cadet Serial starts with 'B' (1946/7?) shoots really well and looks to be all there and original, wood good but metalwork has been blued or blacked over surface pitting.

BSA Cadet Major Serial starts 'CA' (1949/55?) shoots extremely well and seems to be all original, wood very good and barrel no colour with surface pitting but minor. Traces just visible of BSA markings.

Now perhaps the cherry (or not?) BSA Club Serial starts with 'E' (1948/50?) shoots well, all seems to me to be original, tap works well, no colour to metalwork, barrel quite pitted around muzzle end by foresight blade and general pitting on remainder. wood very good.

I can buy these for not too much money or if you think they are of significant interest to a serious collector and worth more than say £300 for all three, perhaps I will tell the owner and put them on here on his behalf.

Thanks in advance for your help.

To start the ball rolling:

Cadet, as described, £30-50.

Cadet Major: £40-60.

Club. All depends on how bad the surface finish is, but, even if quite bad, probably £100 due to rarity, more if your definition of pitting is my definition of light surface rust.

Any chance you could post some pictures?

Thanks Geezer, I guessed the first two about right. I think fairly deep rust has been present on the barrel of the Club and it has been cleaned out and oiled over leaving some fairly deep pits all over the metalwork (similar to rough orange peel) and a little bit deeper at muzzle end by foresight blade.
    The barrel is very thick so the pits are probably less that 5% in to the outside surface, (but my guns are new AA200TX, HW100 and HW99 so I am not used to seeing barrels quite like these - they may be quite OK by old gun standards?).
    Sorry I can only get photos if I buy the guns and he will only sell all three together. Seems like he is asking £225 and will not drop.
    So not the bargain of the Century then !!

There is a collector's section on the BBS which is very good. I will put a post there pointing them in the direction of your query.
    Rich.
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Quote Originally Posted by averageplinker View Post
    There is a collector's section on the BBS which is very good. I will put a post there pointing them in the direction of your query.
    Rich.
    Thanks Rich. I was really excited when I heard about them, thinking back 60 years to my own old Webley, but they were not quite what I expected in terms of condition, although they do shoot well for their age.

As I am not a collector I will not be going for these but anyone else interested let me know and I will put you in touch with the owner if he is happy to - He is unlikely to reduce the price though - he's had them a long time and thinks they are a good price and especially the Club Model being used in local (Swindon League) vintage competitions.

Personally, I'd walk away at that price. The only thing maybe holding me back would be the Club, which is a bit special. But I would not buy a rubbish Club unless I really wanted a Club and planned to restore it. If not, it's just a rusty old gun. I could get markedly better nice old guns, at least two, if not three, for £225.

Thanks Guys, I knew I would get an honest, knowledgeable and genuine response which is why I walked away to seek your advice first.

I will spend it on a nice scope for the TX200 I bought at my local gun shop yesterday.

Cheers.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    I quite like the idea of the Club, feel sorry for it.

Why didn't he keep these much loved sporting goods in better nick? Perhaps he kept them in the shed.

The cub intrigues me, the other 2 do not interest me. I quite like rough but working old guns so I don't pay too much or get precious about shooting them. I would be interested If he would sell it on it's own in which case please PM me.
    Cheers Rich.
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)