Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pistol bolts, why on the right?

Might have to do with the design of the pistol?
    If it was designed from a rifle, than a r/h bolt would be very logical. All r/h smallbore match rifles have their bolt on the r/h side.
    Doesnt have much to do with price; even Tau 7s had their 'bolt'universal l/h r/h.
    Its a matter of dedication I think. Dedicated for match (not semi match) and dedicated designed pistol
    ATB,
    yana

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by hwtyger View Post
    Might have to do with the design of the pistol?
    If it was designed from a rifle, than a r/h bolt would be very logical. All r/h smallbore match rifles have their bolt on the r/h side.
    Doesnt have much to do with price; even Tau 7s had their 'bolt'universal l/h r/h.
    Its a matter of dedication I think. Dedicated for match (not semi match) and dedicated designed pistol
    The Tau 7 is a different design and isn't handed as such - it requires fingers on both sides both for cocking and loading which can done with either hand.

Most of the modern cheapies such as 2240, 13xx, CP1 etc are all on the right whereas the earlier Crosman models were similarly universal with sliding covers and either rear cocking or dual sided cocking.

But then again having the bolt on the right will good for the lefties

I don't find having the bolt on the right an issue with right handed use. Works for me with my Cp1.
    Mind you, as I shoot rifles left handed (I know, weird) I'm used to it being on the wrong side

Being fairly new to shooting my first gun was a 2240. I found it really weird that the bolt was on the right but assumed this was just me so it's nice to know it's not just me! Did look into a LH breech but there didn't;t seem to be any unless I was willing to pay for a custom one and I've put enough cash into that gun already!

Quote Originally Posted by airgunnut View Post
    Most of the population are right handed, so we can assume that right handed pistol shooters hold the pistol with there right hand, what hand are you going to use to open the bolt and load the pistol?

Or are you one of those who after a shot move the pistol from your right hand to your left, then use your right hand to load? .... If you are then you need to practice loading with your left hand, in a comp every time you change your grip you change the impact point of your pellet.
    I have shot in county comps (some years ago now) and I know that just changing how tightly I hold on to the pistol changes the impact point.
    Totally agree, when I was shooting semi-serious comps with .22 RF pistol. I used to take some time the get my grip correct prior to firing.

The thought of disturbing that grip during a group would be a complete no-no.

Fortunately my pistol was a semi-auto so the need never arose, even clearing the occasional stoppage could be done without disturbing the grip, and as you say, the impact point.