Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Just how committed (ie obsessed) are you?!

Garvin,

Do you mean to say some members on here think about things other than airguns?

John

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Garvin,

Do you mean to say some members on here think about things other than airguns?

John
    I think we all function, do jobs to earn money, raise families, maintain relationships etc, but it's mainly a means to an end - building our airgun collections.

There's few shots of adrenalin in life that can compare with a really good airgun score at a reasonable price. Sad innit?
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonardj View Post

How obsessed?
    Best way I can describe it is, not as bad as some, but a whole lot worse than others.
    That's me, too, that is: nail, head, hammer and hitting.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    It's even pleasant enjoying the aromas of different springers, no-one over a certain age can resist the smell of a good 3-In-1 diesel
    Love that. I think I'm going to oil my Webleys with Castrol R, to bring the aroma of a Manx Norton to the range. That would raise a few nostalgic smiles.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post

There's few shots of adrenalin in life that can compare with a really good airgun score at a reasonable price. Sad innit?
    No!

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

In the last month I've purchased a pristine MK1 Webley Premier, A Webley MK1 pistol in Good condition, A webley MK1 in rough condition (auction bargain that came with a load of vintage pellet tins & boxes) an Acvoke Pistol in Lovely condition (another auction buy), just before xmas I picked up a very nice HW77 Venom, A BSA Standard in reasonable condition, (I wanted the stock and No22 sight for my CS)........I may have a problem
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,
    Vintage Collection - Walther LP53, HW77k Venom, BSF S20 Match, Original 35, ASI Target plus lots more

Rarely give airguns a second thought me....

I am a 'reluctant' collector. Every year I say " No more airguns", but every year I seem to add to the collection. I inherited the 'Collectors Gene' from my parents, who were both avid collectors, and I settled on air guns some years ago. Initially on pre-war underlever BSA's but more recently I have gone towards German rifles and pistols, adding Falkes, Weihrauchs, Originals to the collections, as well as Wobley Pistols, which I have taken a shine to.
    I shoot a fair few down the local club, so they tend to get used in rotation.My son doesnt share my interests, so it is only me that gets to enjoy them.

The one question I can never answer is "at what point does collecting change into hoarding?" Everytime I go to buy something new, I tell myself that one of the other guns will get sold, however those guns earmarked for sale never seem to get offered up for sale?? Cant bring myself to do it .

Lakey

It's the social history as well as the engineering that interests me. Collecting airguns, or indeed shotguns or firearms, is a lot less expensive and space-consuming than collecting cars, tractors or bikes.

I'm relatively healthy and saveable as a single manufacturer and era collector with only a small collection. Or am I in denial

Its the lost souls who are into everything - the extreme collectors I really feel for.

I recall talking to a trader, years back - describing one of his customers who had a desperate compulsion to have every single variation of this particular type of airgun, at any cost.

Anthropromorphism - the attribution of human characteristics to inanimate objects.

Wouldn't worry too much about it - its a rewarding and harmless foible....
    "helplessly they stare at his tracks......."

Collecting and shooting Airguns is the only hobby that has retained my interest.

Sea fishing is cold and, off the beach, unrewarding.

Cars used to be fun but have been subject to decades of Governments determined to make car ownership expensive and joyless.

Etc etc.

But a shoot at our forest never fails to raise my mood and remove stress.
    Also a lot of nice people shoot and collect.

I spend half of my days sorting out the Fair emailing, printing, promoting and planning. I really look forward to attending other events, when I can relax, ferret around and chat over a bacon roll and mug of tea.

I enjoy the Fair at Melbourne, run by collectors, for collectors. Just a shame it is 200 miles from England😂
    I can’t wait until I get my act together and actually look around Kempton.

110 tables confirmed and still lots of regulars yet to return booking forms.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Binners View Post
    Rarely give airguns a second thought me....

I never managed to go to the range last year Pete (Paid up for the year too!)

I do spend way too much time on airgun websites and in the airgun groups on facebook though, Also- To say I was going to slash my collection, I've bought a rather nice Gecado 35 and a Baikal pistol since I made my mind up to reduce

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Norwich 'A Fine City' (unless you're a driver)
    Quote Originally Posted by Binners View Post
    I spend half of my days sorting out the Fair emailing, printing, promoting and planning. I really look forward to attending other events, when I can relax, ferret around and chat over a bacon roll and mug of tea.

I enjoy the Fair at Melbourne, run by collectors, for collectors. Just a shame it is 200 miles from England😂
    I can’t wait until I get my act together and actually look around Kempton.

110 tables confirmed and still lots of regulars yet to return booking forms.
    I WILL get there this time.

When I started collecting air guns some 40 years ago, I decided to collect British made guns and settled on Webley. Along the way I got slightly sidetracked and ended up with a few Crosman, BSA, Walther and Weihrauch examples as well, but 3/4 of my collection remained Webley.
    At the peak of my collecting days, I had approximately 210 air guns in my collection, so I suppose it had become a bit of an obsession, but not overwhelmingly so.
    I've now sold 70 as part of my collection disposal, but still have a few to go. I'm disposing of it for health reasons, not because I've become bored with air guns.