Thread: different makes of powder near same burn rate's

different makes of powder near same burn rate's

Hi Lads.
    From the limited information i can gather its looking like most of the Hodgdon powders won't eventually be available in the form that they are now, so it might silly of me to develop a load using these's powders.

If say for example i was looking at a load that used H4895, could i look at the burn rate charts and use say n530 as it very close in the burn rate charts, --------or doesn't it work that way.

Dave (warbucks)
    Theoben Rapid MK1 177
    AA S410 22
    Bushnall Scout Range Finder
    Hawk 3 x 9 x 40 m.a.p scopes
    Deben mini pro lamping system

Randy Bohannon is offline “Junes1 is a whining bellend”
    Quote Originally Posted by warbucks View Post
    Hi Lads.
    From the limited information i can gather its looking like most of the Hodgdon powders won't eventually be available in the form that they are now, so it might silly of me to develop a load using these's powders.

If say for example i was looking at a load that used H4895, could i look at the burn rate charts and use say n530 as it very close in the burn rate charts, --------or doesn't it work that way.

Dave (warbucks)
    Those charts are for ideas as to which alternative powders to try in a particular application rather than tables of direct equivalence.

You must use the load data published by the new manufacturer and work up a load as usual.
    "An infinite number of monkeys banging away at type writers for an infinite period of time will eventually reproduce Hamlet" Thanks to discussion forums we now know this to be untrue.

Use them to find an alternative powder with a similar burn rate. Then use the powder manufacturers load date or another reputable source and work up a safe load. Those charts are really handy, especially in light of many of the US Powders being banned in the EU recently.

Buy the "one book/one calibre" for the round & it will list every powder load the various bullet manufacturers have tested.

Quote Originally Posted by warbucks View Post
    Hi Lads.

Dave (warbucks)
    Just use Viht's data if using Viht powder........

Nosler' site is quite a good reference for ideas on different powders from various manufacturers, obviously viht/ hodgdon / Alliant only have data for their own powders.

https://load-data.nosler.com/load-da...250-remington/
    Last edited by 223AI; 02-02-2018 at 09:52 PM.
    Thanks for looking

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    Every one of the powders on that page of the Nosler book will be banned here in Europe by Summer.

tac
    Did you take the time to look through the other bullet weights before coming back with an unhelpful reply Tac (Dave knows about REACH by the sounds of things). I'd Hazard a guess he is going for 50-55 gr bullets (53 gr v-max) low and behold REACH compliant powders listed, including one of the few compliant hodgdon powders CFE 223....

Even for the 30s RL15 is comlpiant and I'm guessing TAC too as it's European (Clermont)
    Last edited by 223AI; 02-02-2018 at 10:45 PM.
    Thanks for looking

Parabuteo is offline My Chrony has bought it a couple of times...
    Consider the reload swiss range. RS52 is a pretty good and consistant powder that took over from H4895 and IMR4895 on the FTR side. Works pretty well in .223 as well.
    I'm a maggot in another life you know

Quote Originally Posted by Boydy47 View Post
    Did you take the time to look through the other bullet weights before coming back with an unhelpful reply Tac (Dave knows about REACH by the sounds of things). I'd Hazard a guess he is going for 50-55 gr bullets (53 gr v-max) low and behold REACH compliant powders listed, including one of the few compliant hodgdon powders CFE 223....

Even for the 30s RL15 is comlpiant and I'm guessing TAC too as it's European (Clermont)
    A couple of unhelpful replies out of more than six thousand isn't necessarily a hanging matter. I've pulled my unhelpful post.

tac
    Last edited by tacfoley; 08-02-2018 at 05:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    A couple of unhelpful replies out of more than six thousand isn't necessarily a hanging matter. I've pulled my unhelpful post.

tac
    Shouldn't think it is
    Thanks for looking

Randy Bohannon is offline “Junes1 is a whining bellend”
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy47 View Post
    Shouldn't think it is

This one's a classic:

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....65#post7415565

Tac reads a post by thibben directed at me to be directed at him, I gently pastiche his post to let him know, our blessed Elder loses his shit big style and I'm still waiting for him to realise what went wrong...

I can't be angry at him though, he's like a mad uncle of mine who you can't take to restaurants for fear of his "irresistible desire to communicate"...
    "An infinite number of monkeys banging away at type writers for an infinite period of time will eventually reproduce Hamlet" Thanks to discussion forums we now know this to be untrue.

Is there a leak in NAR? Seems to be getting a little personal in the normal parts of the forum. FYI posts will not be deleted, members will
    Do nothing, achieve nothing