Thread: different makes of powder near same burn rate's

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Randy Bohannon is offline “Junes1 is a whining bellend”
    Quote Originally Posted by warbucks View Post
    Hi Lads.
    From the limited information i can gather its looking like most of the Hodgdon powders won't eventually be available in the form that they are now, so it might silly of me to develop a load using these's powders.

If say for example i was looking at a load that used H4895, could i look at the burn rate charts and use say n530 as it very close in the burn rate charts, --------or doesn't it work that way.

Dave (warbucks)
    Those charts are for ideas as to which alternative powders to try in a particular application rather than tables of direct equivalence.

You must use the load data published by the new manufacturer and work up a load as usual.
    "An infinite number of monkeys banging away at type writers for an infinite period of time will eventually reproduce Hamlet" Thanks to discussion forums we now know this to be untrue.

Use them to find an alternative powder with a similar burn rate. Then use the powder manufacturers load date or another reputable source and work up a safe load. Those charts are really handy, especially in light of many of the US Powders being banned in the EU recently.

Buy the "one book/one calibre" for the round & it will list every powder load the various bullet manufacturers have tested.